German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays)
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
KristiM
Master Member

Exclamation Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays)

I took Havoc to a 24hour clinic last Friday after his tail went limp when we were doing agility. The vet took a quick look at him and said that I should get his hips xrayed. His tail has stayed limp thoughout the week, gets better with rest and worse with exercise. So today I took him in, the vet did a thorough exam and said that his tail itself seemed fine and that she did get good extension on both legs. When she was palpating his lower spine I did see his expression change (he is a very tough dog and would never cry out even if it was very painful) She said that given the symptoms and his breed that lumbosacral disease is a concern.

The xrays showed mild to moderate dysplasia in the right hip and she is concerned with some findings in his spine that might suggest a lumbosacral problem, she also said that the tail being limp would point towards a possible back problem and not just a hip issue. The xrays were sent to a radiologist for further review (still waiting to hear back) but she said to know for sure they will likely need to do an MRI.

Needless to say I'm pretty heart broken, I know HD isn't the end of the world (know lots of dogs that are able to compete and live well with it) but that coupled with a spine problem is likely going to mean Havoc is going to see some pretty significant changes in his lifestyle. Can anyone offer any opinions on his xrays? Or anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays)-malone-havoc0002s.jpg   Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays)-malone-havoc0003s.jpg   Disappointing news...would love some opinions (xrays)-malone-havoc0004s.jpg  

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote