German Shepherds Forum banner

Daytime with 6 week old pup:

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JakodaCD OA 
#1 ·
We have a 6 week old pup. During the day does anyone have any tips on how my fiancé and I should handle? We have a crate and he does well in it although he is young and about every 2 hrs needs to go out. What does everyone else do? I know that as he gets older it will be easier, but for now any tips would be helpful. :thumbup:

#2 ·
Are you asking what people do who work? Or what people do with puppies during the day and don't work:)?

#5 ·
I've always had the luxury of being able to spend alot of time with my dogs/puppies.

Things I did when I was around,,puppies always within site if not in a crate, outside time ALOT, alot of interaction with new puppy, and just going about normal routine for me but puppy tagging along:)

On days I worked, Lunch break to let out for potty breaks, a little exercise, and usually my husband was home soon to help out as well..

Puppies 8 weeks or so, have small bladders and when they gotta go they gotta go:) So outside atleast every couple of hours till they are a bit older and you can extend the time.

I might add, when I leave a puppy home in the crate, I also leave on a radio for some 'noise'..

#6 ·
I took 2 weeks off of work and stayed home with Fiona. It gave us time to bond and time for me to figure out how having a puppy for the first time works. I gave Fiona one of my dirty shirts in her crate, so she can smell me, when she can't see me.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. I took off for 2 weeks as well to acclimate the little guy. So when I go back he'll be about 8 weeks old. Is before work eating/playing/potting, then lunch break, then when we get home. Gonna be enough potty breaks for the little guy? As well as interaction? Thanks again! :) so thankful for this forum

#8 ·
don't play to much right before and right after eating,,puppies can get worked up and vomit food, and later as they age, bloat may be a concern.

I'd see how he's doing when your home,,by 8 weeks, I'd try your schedule, potty/eat/potty maybe a short walk? crate for 4 hours, lunch / potty/ walk if you can and again 4 hours when you get home ,,at nite I'd give much more freedom as being in a crate all day can definitely wind him up so he's gonna be a terror:)

Just an FYI,,since you'll be home for two weeks, work on leaving him alone in his crate for a bit a few times a day,,you don't want him to have a hissy fit when you go back to work because he hasn't had "alone" time in his crate..

I always leave a radio on, and don't be surprised if you crate him, and you just leave the room vs leave the house that he goes bonkers...they "know" when your in the house and just don't like being separated but he needs to get used to it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.