German Shepherds Forum banner

Well...this wasn't exactly how I planned things to go...

3K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  DharmasMom 
#1 ·
I'd discussed with my wife about us getting a GSD and she was all for it. I thought I'd made it pretty clear how I wanted to go about getting a pup...but my wife decided she wanted to surprise me this week. Meet Guinness Jakob:

Really needed a bath when we got home...

My hand is not small...he's just got hoof's

Obviously, I've got to work on being the Alpha when it comes to my marriage. A co-worker of my wife knows this amish breeder that's been breeding GSD's for "a while" now and he had a male black & tan born Aug 31st that someone had put a deposit down on but then backed out. When my wife went there, she met the mother who was an absolute sweetheart...very well behaved, great with new people. Guinness is an absolute doll, although (someone confirm here?) quite large for his age, if my scale is right he's about 42lbs. Taking the pup back just isn't an option. 1 - wife is in love with him. 2 - kids are in love with him. 3 - despite my misgivings on how this has come about, I gotta admit I love him already as well. My wife is now clear on why she shouldn't have done it this way, and I'm just going to do everything I can for him to make him the best dog I can.

I'm calling around today to find his first level of obedience training to start ASAP. I've got a buddy with a GSD out in Ohio that is putting his through Schutzhund training that is really pushing for me to try it as well. I'll admit, I'm not as familiar with it as I'd like to be, but it does sound interesting if I can find somewhere relatively near me to do it. My main goal with Guinness is a well-trained family member with perhaps an element of protection...and then to find out what "job" keeps him interested & motivated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats! I love bath tub pics because the dogs look like they're in so much pain. Make sure you have the time commitment for Schutzhund if you're going to do it. The protection phase is the last thing you should be thinking about and just enjoy him as a deterrent. If he has what it takes for Schutzhund, then it is something that would be really fun to do depending on how committed you will be and how much time you have.

42 lbs for a 4 month old isn't out of the ordinary. It's large but not huge. I've realized 10 lbs a month for the first 6 or 7 is kind of the standard and then it starts to slow down a bit. Some dogs of course are less and some are more but in general its not the worst rule of thumb.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! He actually did really well with the bath, I was surprised. As for protection..."protection" in my mind, from a dog, is simply alerting me that something is up so I can deal with the threat. Can you give me an idea of how much time is involved in Schutzhund? I'm glad to hear 42lbs isn't all that abnormal, I was a little worried about that although he seems very strong & healthy & happy. Just scheduled his first vet visit, he goes in Monday morning for an exam and shots.

#7 ·
I don't do Schutzhund...but its because of the time thing. The closest club to me is about an hour away. So every Sunday I would be driving there an hour and back an hour. On top of that, you're probably going to be there all day because its not just a "train my dog and leave" type of thing. You stay around, learn from more experienced people, help where you can, ect. Then throughout the week you need to work on things at home (not crazy time commitment, but could be if you decide you want to trial and get as many points as possible). Someone else can tell you about the exact time requirements but I've done some tracking work and even a short track takes about 30 minutes to lay down (and imagine doing that on a weekday).

I was extremely interested when I got my dog, but realized I didn't want to or have the time to commit to this. It does become a hobby and I applaud the people that do it. I have my own hobbies that at this point in my life are a little more important to me than Schutzhund, and at the end of the day that is probably what keeps me from doing it (I like my 18 holes on a Sunday).

The closer the training area is to your home, the better though. But make sure you get a lot of references on the instructors and the helpers. I've heard from more than a few people that there are some you want to work with, and other you shouldn't even let look at your dog.

#11 ·
I think some of my biggest issues were that 1 - I wanted to pick the dog and 2 - I was worried after everything I'd heard on here about back-yard breeders, which is basically where Guinness came from. I guess I just had all those warnings stuck in my head. I gotta say, I really appreciate all the positive responses I've gotten...thank you guys very much. Just to make sure I'm being clear...it's not like I yelled at my wife or anything, we had a really good talk about it all and she understood my concerns.

Personality wise...she couldn't have done any better. He does have some anxiety issues today, but I think that's normal. Last night was the first time he'd worn a collar or had a leash on. He does get anxious so far on it, but I'm already seeing great improvement just over the last few hours so that's a great thing. We just got back from taking my step-daughter to work, and he did great riding in the back of the Jeep. Last night, he did get sick on the car-ride home, but it was his first time in a car and it was a 90 minute drive, so that's certainly not his fault. As anxious as he was in his crate last night (even with me sleeping, sorta, on the couch beside him), he just went in there to lay down so I think he's starting to accept that too. I'm so excited to see how quickly he grows and learns.

#9 ·
Several times in my life, I've had the experience that the "right" dog has a way of finding me, even if I was initially sure it wasn't a dog I wanted at the time...as the reason it came into my life unfolds, I realize what a special blessing it was that it did--and that it had to be this dog and no other. I have a feeling that will happen with you and Guinness.

#23 ·
Several times in my life, I've had the experience that the "right" dog has a way of finding me, even if I was initially sure it wasn't a dog I wanted at the time...as the reason it came into my life unfolds, I realize what a special blessing it was that it did--and that it had to be this dog and no other. I have a feeling that will happen with you and Guinness.

I agree with the above...

Your wife did wrong. You certainly should have had a say over your choice of pup. And from the Amish? I hope she has learned her lesson.

That said....Kudos to you for loving this boy anyway. Sometimes we don't get what we want, but we get what we need. Sounds like Guinness has found a wonderful home. Wishing all of you many happy years together.

I also agree with Jan. As sweet as it was for your wife to clearly want to get you the pup, she should have included you in the decision. I do believe this pup came into your life at the right time and for a reason. He's a pretty thick boned boy from that first picture! My husband just agreeing to letting me get my exact desired pup in the future will be surprise enough for me. If he ever came home with my next pup without a warning... I might slug him and then start loving on the puppy. lol. I wish you the best with your new landshark and cant wait to see more pictures, especially as he grows!

#10 ·
Your wife did wrong. You certainly should have had a say over your choice of pup. And from the Amish? I hope she has learned her lesson.

That said....Kudos to you for loving this boy anyway. Sometimes we don't get what we want, but we get what we need. Sounds like Guinness has found a wonderful home. Wishing all of you many happy years together.

#37 · (Edited)
I hope your puppy will be ok, he's handsome fellow :) Sounds like he's settling in well already too :)
You can get health issues in puppies from registered breeders as well, and yeah you have health guarantee and can give them back - but even then not many people will do that once they are attached to the puppy!

That's pretty harsh, especially the "learnt her lesson" comment :(

Yeah his wife made a mistake, it happens.
Yes they should have gone and picked a puppy together but I think if his wife read the above comment she'd be very hurt and upset.

The dog had already been bred, it was in need of a home and she decided to give him one. Is that so much different from getting a dog from a dog rescue where this dog (and so many other BYB dogs) likely would have ended up anyway?
Backyarders will ALWAYS breed and make money off selling pups if they sell them for a few $100 instead of a few $1000 like "reputable" breeders charge.
To most people that want a pet dog it doesn't matter if that dog has papers or not (often they don't understand about the health issues, they just think it's papers they are paying for)- "it's cheap, it's a (insert breed), it'll do".
I think the only way you would ever stamp out BYBs is by the "proper" breeders selling pups for the same price as a BYB would. (Which I realise is unrealistic due to the cost of "proper" breeding)

To the OP - the main thing is that you don't use this dog for breeding :) Give him a good life, neuter him, work him and love him :D

#12 ·
Well im sure that you and your new pup will have a really strong relationship together. This is most likely not the last dog you will ever own so next time you will get to pick it out. The great thing about German Shepherds is that they will do anything for you and they don't have to be AKC perfect to be YOUR perfect dog.

#14 ·
Congrats on the new family addition. Yeah, it was the perfect situation but it seems to be working out for the best. :)

He is very handsome and I love the name.

As for the "element of protection", just being a GSD will be a good deterrent to most wrongdoers.

And good for you on finding out what Guinness likes and doing that!!

#15 ·
Funny thing about the name...I've always wanted a GSD, and I'd decided probably 5 years ago that when I do finally get mine, I was going to name him Guinness (yes, I'm obviously a fan of the beer). I dunno how many people have named there dog that far in advance of getting them :)His middle name, Jakob, just seemed appropriate since he's Amish LOL. Right now, all he's interested in is the back of his eyelids :D Here's a few more pics...

Meeting my son for the first time last night:

Not too sure about the noisy thing being shoved in his face:

More nap time:

#16 ·
He's a really nice pup. Nice bone, nice ears, handsome head. I think your wife did fine. I'm a believer in the whole family making the decisions, but this one seems to have turned out well. Sounds like he has a good start at socialization. Now it's up to you and your wife to make him the perfect dog. Enjoy!

#17 ·
Stunningly handsome dog. How does he do around strangers, kids? My only concern would be that he wasn't socialized sufficiently, or that your wife didn't get the full story and he was returned to the Amish because of problems in a former home. If he is steady nerved and outgoing it sounds like your wife picked a great one!

#21 ·
Stunningly handsome dog. How does he do around strangers, kids? My only concern would be that he wasn't socialized sufficiently, or that your wife didn't get the full story and he was returned to the Amish because of problems in a former home. If he is steady nerved and outgoing it sounds like your wife picked a great one!
Well, we had to stop at Petsmart last night to get a collar, leash & food. He had two young kids come galloping up to him and he just loved it. Tail was wagging and he covered them with kisses. He was a little less enthusiastic about the adults, but didn't shy away from them either. Socialization is a big concern for me, so he'll be slowly introduced to as many different people and dogs as possible, as safely as possible. I'm a pretty social person, have folks over to the house all the time, so it's important to me that Guinness be comfortable with this.

Very nice looking pup! I don't have any advice on Schutzhund (my beautiful girl is most likely backyard bred, and just doesn't have the nerves for it), but I will say that these wonderful dogs will generally like anything that works that big brain. Sasha and I have a blast doing obedience work (not usually through classes, though the one 8 week class we went to was a lot of fun for both of us), so if your boy can't do schutzhund, or if you just decide it isn't for you, there are so many fun things you can do with him that are just as good. Again, cute pup!
Thanks for that...very good points applicable to my situation. I won't be disappointed if schutzhund isn't for him...but if it's something that he'd do well with and really enjoy, then it's worth looking into. If he's happy just doing obedience, playing, and being a family dog, then I'm ok with that too :)
He's adorable :wub:
But his eye, the right one, seems really red! What's up with that? Allergies?
I think it was just from being so tired (he was used to bedtime being 8pm or so and that was late last night). Today his eyes are clear with no red at all.

Thanks again for all the great advice, very much appreciated!

#19 ·
Very nice looking pup! I don't have any advice on Schutzhund (my beautiful girl is most likely backyard bred, and just doesn't have the nerves for it), but I will say that these wonderful dogs will generally like anything that works that big brain. Sasha and I have a blast doing obedience work (not usually through classes, though the one 8 week class we went to was a lot of fun for both of us), so if your boy can't do schutzhund, or if you just decide it isn't for you, there are so many fun things you can do with him that are just as good. Again, cute pup!

#22 ·
I love your pup. He's super cute. I had a similar situation in getting mine. I had been telling hubby that we couldn't afford a dog, and for months he kept saying he wanted one. He went ahead against my will and got Rocco "for me" for Christmas last year. Needless to say, Rocco is the love of my life. I'm sure yours will be too.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#24 ·
This is by far one of the most adorable pictures. This is totally frame worthy.

#25 ·
He is beautiful. There are three of us in my family. I found mine and 2 of us jumped in the car to see her. The 3rd one figured out what we were doing, because I didn't exit out on the internet. We get there, we see her, and she is very attached to the woman. The person with me is ready to walk away, so we could discuss it...I felt that a conversation wasn't needed and 1 year later I couldn't be happier. Enjoy your dog, you will find that the more you put into him, the happier everyone will be.

#26 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new pup! You need to change your signature now!
My husband got Onyx much the same way Guinness came to you. Had I known, I never would have chosen the breeder he supported, but she made me learn so much about behavior and training.
The second pic of your pup lying down....his eye looks really red, is it just the shot or is there some irritation going on?

I don't do Schutzhund...but its because of the time thing. The closest club to me is about an hour away. So every Sunday I would be driving there an hour and back an hour. On top of that, you're probably going to be there all day because its not just a "train my dog and leave" type of thing. You stay around, learn from more experienced people, help where you can, ect. Then throughout the week you need to work on things at home (not crazy time commitment, but could be if you decide you want to trial and get as many points as possible). Someone else can tell you about the exact time requirements but I've done some tracking work and even a short track takes about 30 minutes to lay down (and imagine doing that on a weekday).

I was extremely interested when I got my dog, but realized I didn't want to or have the time to commit to this. It does become a hobby and I applaud the people that do it. I have my own hobbies that at this point in my life are a little more important to me than Schutzhund, and at the end of the day that is probably what keeps me from doing it (I like my 18 holes on a Sunday).

The closer the training area is to your home, the better though. But make sure you get a lot of references on the instructors and the helpers. I've heard from more than a few people that there are some you want to work with, and other you shouldn't even let look at your dog.
Most clubs are at least an hour drive...you luck out if you don't have to travel far! I personally could go to a club 45 minutes away, but don't want bad training! No training is better than bad, and I agree, make sure who you train with is not going to create problems that will be harder to fix.
So I travel almost 2 hours for better training, which in the past year, we've had to fix some problems that I caused early on with the more "local" group.
:)

#28 ·
Lucky you...10 minutes away!! If it is warrior k9, you are luckier!! LOL... Whatever/where-ever wishing you a good one and Guinness's Jakob has a great future with his new family

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.