German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Housebreaking while at work
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
SampsonNeiss

Default Housebreaking while at work

My wife and I just recently got an 8 week old male white shepherd. I currently have 2 other adult male dogs that are fully housebroken and are free to roam the house during the 10 hour work day. No accidents, no chewing, etc. My question is what is the best thing to do with the puppy while at work. During the night, he stays in his crate and I take him out in the middle of the night. Today is his first day at home alone while the wife and I work. I put him and his crate in the tiled bathroom floor. I kept the crate open for him and used a baby gate to block off the remainder of the bathroom. He currently has about 4ft by 4ft area of tile that will most likely be where he eliminates. I didn't put him in the crate because I know he can not physically hold it and I don't want him to soil his crate. I didn't put puppy pads down because I dont want him to get used to those and then rugs and carpet may become targets. I don't have anyone to let him out or to take him anywhere. When I am home, he knows exactly what to do outside, etc. We have had him for a week so far. I just don't want to give him the wrong message about housetraining. My hope is that he will see the tile floor as an accident rather than me putting paper or something down encouraging him to go there. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!
SampsonNeiss is offline   Reply With Quote