German Shepherds Forum banner

Grim's teeth

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jag 
#1 ·
This boy is going to be the death of me yet! His adult canines came in...and his baby canines failed to come out. So he's got a double set! I've tried giving him a knuckle bone, and last night resorted to try to get him to play some tug. He wouldn't play tug with me, though. He actually pushed the rope away with his front teeth. :rolleyes: Any other suggestions before I have to find a vet to take him to (we just moved recently) to have them removed?? Only Grim would require juvenile dental care... LOL!

#6 ·
We see double teeth all the time. I'm the "teeth checker" at the Schutzhund club as my husband doesn't want any pup playing with the tug until the teeth are in (or at least all the baby teeth are out). I've seen those baby teeth hang on for weeks until suddenly we realize they're gone.
Don't pay for a vet visit quite yet, unless Grim seems uncomfortable in some way.

#9 ·
I'd give it a couple more weeks. Also, don't play tug since yanking one out behind an adult tooth may cause some damage, it's better if they work their way out naturally. I give mine a big (non-bleached, natural) rawhide or a bully stick to work on it. Or an actual raw beef bone, give it in his crate so you can keep the mess to a minimum.

#10 ·
OK. He's got a new antler and a new knuckle bone. I'll let him work on those. I keep the knuckle bone with him all the time, hoping it will loosen them up!

Merry Christmas, Sunflowers!

#11 ·
I know they can sometimes prevent the adult teeth from coming in correctly. As long as the canines are aligning into a correct scissor bite you can probably hold off. I usually find the knuckle bones take care of them.

#12 ·
I can't tell how he's biting down (he's a wild man when I try to look in his mouth!) but the adult canines look straight. I've got to take him to a vet this week or next anyway because he's due a vaccine the 9th of January I think... and I cleaned out his ears and he was very vocal and not wanting me to do it (the cloth had brown stuff on it) so I'd like his ears looked at. I figure they can look at his teeth then.

#13 ·
The best way to do things they find unpleasant, with their mouths/heads/ears/eyes, is stand to the side, and even some dogs balk at this, so maybe stand behind them and reach into the front, peering in from the side.
Dogs find this less threatening than standing in front of them to check teeth/ears, etc.
We do muzzle occasionally depending on the dog's reaction. An assistant can be extremely helpful.
Whatever you do, don't "pin" the dog down if you can help it - the more restraint they feel, the more inclined they are to fight it.

If you try to look and the dog doesn't allow it, do work on this with them. If they may bite (not uncommon/fear/stress response) muzzle and do it anyway.

Nothing's worse than a dog that won't allow procedures to transpire!

*this is a general post for anyone who may be reading and thinking "wow, my dog won't let me (fill in the blank)" and not anyone in particular.*

#14 ·
That's good info.... I think it deserves its own thread, too, so more people see it. :) Just FYI, I did come from his side or back. Grim does NOT like me coming head on at this point. This is one pup I'd never even think about pinning or putting on his side, LOL!! His 'maniac' is excitement. He's always done great at the vet's.. with the exception of the one vet who tried to put him on his side. :crazy: He's lucky he's quick! :D

However, there are so many people that wouldn't think twice about doing that...very good tip!

#15 ·
Grim lost both of his teefies today! :D Unfortunately, I only found ONE. :( That gives me a grand total of TWO baby teeth that I've found (to save) from this boy! I really hoped I'd at least find both of these canines... but no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.