German Shepherds Forum banner

Need Advice on GSD Breeding...

10K views 81 replies 24 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
My husband and I just purchased our very first GSD.. a 6MO female. We are thinking about the future and thinking about breeding her when she is old enough. I heard 2YO is when you can start... correct? We live in Northeast Ohio near Youngstown; and are wanting to see if there are any breeders w/ a short-haired GSD stud that produces great pups nearby. All the advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!! :)

#81 ·
OP...the truth is, your dog came from someone like you, who purchased a GSD and at 6 months decided it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and that they would breed it. They just weren't "lucky" enough to stumble upon this forum, or accross people that are really involved in the dog world to rip them a new one. If you look up previous "I want to breed my dog" threads, you'll see that it happens so often that people just don't have the patience for it anymore.

The way I try to explain it to new members of my GSD club is that, when you ask someone about your dog, you will get the honest, objective, truth about your dog, with absolutely no sugar coating. They will tell you exactly how they feel about the color, structure, temperament, ect of your dog without any consideration that this is your beloved family pet. We all look at our dogs as family members, some of us as kids, but the dogs are still compared to one another more like property and not as gently as children would be.

Kudos to you for sticking around and learning/understanding why people are saying what they are. No one is judging you, or your dogs ability to be a great family pet, and its ability to love you and be everything you wish it to be, they are just judging it based on the fact that there might be one next door that has something better to offer the dog world as a whole. Once you think of the numbers, and how quickly a genetic line can spiral out of control, you'll understand. If an average litter is 6 puppies, and even 2 of those pups are being bred, in a very small amount of time you have almost exponential growth of a line that isn't proven, isn't exeplory, and might not even be to standard due to the lack of knowledge/experience on the owners/breeders part.

#82 ·
this thread shouldn't be this long. op, you are not knowledgeable or experienced enough to start a breeding program. sorry to be blunt but this is the way it is. if i was going to start a breeding program, and i am not, i would work for a respected breeder near me for a few years, make some contacts and then see what i would have to offer the breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.