German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty Training

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Justaguy 
#1 ·
Hey guys !

I'm new to this forum and new to the German shepherd life and I have a quick question.
Yesterday was day 1 with my new puppy Charlie. Everything went well for the most part. She enjoys her kennel and seems to be very happy with me and her new surroundings. She is 12 weeks old now and I'm in the stages of potty training.
I live in a two story house and her kennel is in my bedroom upstairs. There is a "potty pad" downstairs near the back door as well as one next to the kennel. When she is downstairs she uses the pad perfectly without me even watching and even goes outside when she has to do the doo but when she's upstairs she constantly urinates on the floor. My question is how can I prevent this? Am I confusing her with multiple pads?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Maybe keep her downstairs? I'm actually having problems with my girl but constantly taking them out and even keeping them in one room helps. Keira used to pee on her blankets in her crate so I took them out and she doesn't pee all night at all but has problems if she doesn't go out every half hour to an hour for five to ten minutes. Just give it time and learn her signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
I wouldn't use pads at all, personally. They can make it harder to teach your pup that potty only is allowed outdoors. Frequent trips outside to the same spot, pick a command like 'go potty' or whatever you choose, use the command at the spot you want the puppy to use and lots of praise after she goes. Be consistent and she'll be trained before you know it.

#6 ·
Here's how I do it -
Pup is either tethered to me
Within eyesight (and my eyes are on her) or
Crated when indoors.

If I play with the pup, it goes outdoors NOW!
If I feed the pup, it goes outdoors NOW!
If the pup drinks, it goes outdoors NOW!

Any exception & I am screwing up
Any accident is my fault not the pups

At twelve weeks they can be 5 to 5.5 hours or so without having to urinate.

Be vigilant, be active, be aware.

I only used puppy pads in the dog carrier that she rode in under the seat in front of me on the flight home. She used it once, I changed it in DFW as I boarded the shuttle bus. The new one was still clean when we got home.

Don't use puppy pads if you can let a 12 week out every 5 or so hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.