German Shepherds Forum banner

Alpha male

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
When does a male know who the Alpha male is? My Sarge s 8 months, and will do things for me that he won't for my wife. Like when he is out of sight outside, she calls him, nothing. I can call him with a stern voice and he comes running? Same with all other things. All I have to do is use that voice and he will listen. When he was about 4 months I smacked him on his rear for not behaveing, and I think he knows he better listlen to me, or am I wrong? That is the only time I have ever had to PUNISH HIM.

#2 · (Edited)
I think he'd have listened to you anyways cause of all that makes you a man..

You are probably bigger than your wife, have a deeper voice, and so appear to physically be more commanding in the house pack. How we look and sound means everything to a dog, specially when they are younger and genetics tell them thats what to look for when in doubt and needing guidance.

#3 ·
You'd love it here. My dogs ignore my husband for the most part, except "his" dog (and even then, if I raise my voice a bit she'll come to me) but when I give marching orders, they listen.
And...I'm a girl :)

#7 ·
Dogs know who's above them in pack ranking/status, yes... that is basic instinct for them. My husband can control Hunter, but Hunter will follow my orders above his any day. I am the "Alpha Female".

#9 ·
When he was about 4 months I smacked him on his rear for not behaveing, and I think he knows he better listlen to me, or am I wrong?
Actually, hitting a dog can make them FEAR you more than respect you.

I would rather have a dog blow me off than have them do what I say because they are afraid of me.

People are NOT dogs. They cannot be "alpha" to a dog like another dog can. We do not speak the same language.

We get dogs to listen to us either out of fear or desire.

#10 ·
Some of you take this hitting a little to far. I by no means would ever hurt my dog, but there is nothing wrong with a little smack. Their mom does it, older dogs do it and I will do it! Its been done for thousands of years, but I guess you know better.

#11 ·
... but there is nothing wrong with a little smack.
Yes, there is. You're not his mother and he knows it. You're not a dog and he knows it, so trying to relate to him as another dog would is not productive. And smacking a 4 month old puppy on the butt isn't teaching him to listen to you and obey. It would be helpful if you explained the circumstances - what did he do or not do that caused you to smack him?

Calling him with a "stern voice" isn't the best way to train him to come when you call him either. Why would he come to you if he thinks he may be punished or in trouble?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.