German Shepherds Forum banner

What mix is this little guy?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I've had my puppy, Jake, for a little over a month now. I got him from a rescue about 3 hours where I live.

The rescue's website advertised him as a lab-mix puppy, but as he ages, I'm starting to see much more GSD qualities in him. He has what looks like a GSD skull, ears, etc.. and he has a coarse coat with a "mohawk" of thicker hair down the middle of his back. He does have the webbed paws of a lab, and his tail doesn't look much like a GSD tail. He has a stocky body with thick shoulders and more narrow hips, and he has a confident "bounce" when he walks.

As far as temperament goes - he is extremely intelligent, especially for his age. He's between 4 and 5 months old and has learned to sit, shake, lay down, speak, come when his name is called, and come when he is whistled to. He is house trained and crate trained already.. overall, a great dog. He is shy with strangers but very friendly once he warms up to them, and shows a lot of loyalty towards me.

I've attached a picture of him when he was first rescued and a picture of him I took about a week ago. His ears are up in the newer picture (he thought he was getting a treat ;) ) , but they have been up and down and all around since I got him. Recently, his right ear is standing up pretty much 100% of the time, and his left ear is still in between. The shelter said he was about 4 months old when I got him a month ago, which should make him 5 months old now. I think he's actually younger, though, as he just started losing his puppy teeth about a week/week and a half ago. He weighed 37 pounds at the vet this past Thursday, which would be right on part for a 4-month-old large breed puppy.

Just wondering if anyone had an idea of what kind of mix he might be. I definitely think he has some GSD in him, maybe some lab.. This is my first dog, however, so I'm not really the best at spotting out breeds.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I definetely see lab for sure but GSD as well, especially with the second photo

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! He's been a great addition to my life, and I'm glad he isn't on the street anymore.

I've been thinking Black Lab/German Shepherd mix since I got him. His sister looked more like a lab, especially with her ears.

I've attached a picture of Jake and his sister, Alex when they were at the shelter a couple of months ago. Probably around 2 or 2.5 months old in this one. As you can see, even at an early age, he had more of a GSD appearance while his sister looks more like a lab. Alex is on the left and Jake is on the right.

Attachments

#7 ·
My first GSD was a black dog(mom was b&t GSD) and he looked pretty similar to your pup, but his ears weren't as big. His ears stayed soft unless he was really excited. I'm surprised your pups ears are up as big as they looked when you got him. Cute pup, and if he's anything like my Stomper was, you'll have the best dog ever!
I agree with your age assessment. Teething begins around 14 weeks. While he's teething the ears may drop again so provide some fresh raw beef knucklebones(soupbones) for chewing....keeps the head/face muscles strong. And the added cartilage is beneficial to the ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.