German Shepherds Forum banner

Nala can't bark. Why?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  dazedtrucker 
#1 ·
My new adult female can't seem to bark. She isn't much of a "barker" to start with. She growls when she plays... but when she tries to bark only a squeak comes out. It's crazy, she will be all excited, and it's like a total attempt to bark, rapid barking... but nothing comes out but a high pitched squeaking noise. She hurt herself once, and "wailed" pretty well, but it was more of a high pitched "Scream" noise, more of a squeaky scream... like she has no lower voice. :confused: She does growl in a lower voice...
Ideas?

#15 ·
I got her on Thanksgiving, shes 6 years old, and I have no idea what has been done to her. She needed a home...

#7 ·
I also agree it sounds like she was debarked:(

#10 ·
Even if they could...why would you? I mean, it doesn't hurt the dog; it's also called "Bark softening".
Basically they cut a few holes in the vocal cords, one in each I think?
So trying to repair would make things worse, I think.

#13 ·
That did cross my mind after I posted this.. debarked that is. I thought I might be nuts for thinking that... :rolleyes: Oh well... I'm just glad everyone isn't telling me it's some weird disease I never heard of :)
I don't know alot of her history. She was advertised as "a good guard dog cause she looks mean"... LOL! They said nothing of her sound... She's very sweet, lord knows what all shes been through.
I really don't care if she can bark or not, it was just really odd to hear her trying to. Axel does plenty of barking for the both of them. Thanks for the input!

#14 ·
As long as it doesn't seem painful, she doesn't cough after attempting to, or cough at all, actually, as long as she has no issues breathing, she ought to be fine.
Watch for struggling to breathe, blue tongue, etc.

#19 ·
Could be the collar imbedding that caused her vocal cords to be damaged. I've seen dogs on chains that could no longer bark because they've strained there vocals so bad while being tethered by the neck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.