German Shepherds Forum banner

stats: bad kids = bad dogs, by nation??

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  sparra 
#1 ·
was looking at some you tube vids and stumbled across a trainer called either roger johnson or john rogerson or something completely different?

his lecture stated that national statistics show that dog/dog agression and dog/human aggression is increasing at a rapid rate.

he also links the fact that countries with the most out of control kids is highly correlated to incidence of these types of dog aggression.

a coincidence??

a lot of euro countries, belgium and italy was singled out have had static "stats" (that doesn't work) ie no increase in dog attacks on other dogs or humans in 20 years!!!

i thought it was interesting correlation and that with all the advances in training the general standard of dogs is getting worse, more out of control and dangerous!!!

i have shortened things and have only posted my condensed recollection of the lecture, i have no doubt made errors on what the guy was saying.

as i cant remember the guys name i can't find the link. it is a seven minte YT clip.

i thought this was interesting anyways.

See less See more
#2 ·
He has probably got a point. I bet dog behavior and child behavior in a household is closely correlated.

I spend time playing with my children, I listen to them, talk to them, set them reasonable boundaries, I read to them, love them I am consistent with what I expect from them and the penalties they receive if they misbehave. I spent time researching pre-schools and take an interest in the learning they do there. I know that my children are my responsibility 100% Generally we have a happy, calm, loving household where everyone is shown respect and exercises self discipline.

As a result we have happy, healthy, well behaved (most of the time) kids.

We now have a dog and he is coming into a happy calm household. I will take time to play with him, train him, exercise him, I will be consistent with expectations and corrections/rewards. I have enrolled him in puppy training classes that we will all go to together and am reading and researching on here and elsewhere. He has been vaccinated has a good diet, fully insured and given all the vet care he needs.

I'm no expert but I think we stand a good chance of raising a nice dog.

Compare that to households where kids are shut in rooms all day in front of the TV to take care of themselves, they are ignored most of the time then shouted at sworn at and beaten inconsistently for misbehavior. etc etc - that will be the same household that chains a dog in the yard, riddled with worms and fleas, poorly fed, not trained, no time spent socializing the only form of disapline, shouting and physical violence.

You can guess what the kids and the dog will be like.

#10 ·
Agree. We always had a calm, loving, communicative household and well behaved dogs. I expected and worked on (!!!) good behavior from the kids and dogs, species specific of course. But it takes work and commitment. The kids are grown, well adjusted adults and many sweet dogs have since passed to the Rainbow Bridge.

#5 ·
Wow... what a leap! The increase in aggressive dogs is caused by people breeding dogs that are unqualified to breed. They're breeding for all the wrong reasons, and creating hoards of dogs with behavioral and health issues. This is the price of 'capitalism'. Kids being rude, etc. is bad parenting. Maybe they shouldn't be breeding, either. :rolleyes: I totally fail to see the connection between the two. I can make unfounded connections between unrelated things, too... doesn't mean they're actually linked.

#7 ·
You don't see any connection?

Dog behaviour is 100% genetic and Child behaviour is 100% conditioning then? :eek:

I think almost every dog has the potential to be good and almost every dog has the potential to be bad. The biggest influence has got to be training, socialization, care, attention and exercise.

I don't think it is any type of jump to say that people who take time to do the above properly are less likely to end up with an aggressive dog than people who do none of the above.

#11 ·
I didn't watch the videos, but the type of parents who allows their children to run wild and undisciplined will probably allow their dogs to run wild and undisciplined.

The more of this type of households you have, the more ill-behaved people and dogs you will have.

So in that sense there is a correlation.

#12 ·
Thanks for finding the video, Debbie.This man has good observations and I'd like to search for more videos.

About the US and UK having aggressive dog and kids, very interesting. Discussing it more for me would delve into the political which we cannot discuss. Time to research Belgium.

#13 ·
Many European countries place a lot more importance and funding in education. If the statistics show that their children are better behaved, and grow into better behaved adults, it's not surprising. I think better behaved dogs come from better behaved owners.

Poor temperament due to irresponsible breeding in the US could be a factor as well, but they must have irresponsible breeders in European countries too, right? Maybe it's not rampant to the degree it is in the US? Anyone have stats on this?

#14 ·
We used to joke about this at work all the time.....lady comes in with her kids and the dog for the annual checkup, kids are running around the waiting room yelling and pulling things of the shelves and mum is saying "sit down, don't yell, don't touch, stop running" all the while taking no action. Then she turns to the dog who is pulling on the lead trying to jump on people, knocking things over and she is saying "come, sit, down" all the while taking no action. We just used to have a little chuckle out the back and argue about who was the unlucky one going in to help the vet!!!!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.