German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - What "type" of GSD and which Canadian breeder?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
RushGSD

What "type" of GSD and which Canadian breeder?

Hi all,
I have been researching quite a bit and now it seems the more I know, the more I realize I know nothing and it gets increasingly confusing to make a decision.
We are currently considering the adoption of a dog as a family companion.
We like medium to large-sized dogs that are athletic, with a certain dignity to them, and dogs that are great family companions, love children, can watch the house during our absence and can come with us for our jog.
I know that this can be difficult to achieve, but I want a dog that is safe with kids but that can also protect the family. I want to have peace of mind when I know that my significant other is out for her run in the trails by herself, and when she is home alone (there have been recent and several instances of people - even athletic men - being mugged on the street here).
I find that the GSD seems to fit the bill for many of the things we are looking for in a dog but we are just not sure if it would be the right breed for us for the following reasons:
1- I owned Boxers in the past. I loved them, but I would prefer a calmer breed for our next familly dog. I think I am not mistaken to think that the GSD is definitely calmer;
2- We both work. This means the dog would be home alone from 7am to 3pm every day of the week, with only our cat as a companion.
3- We want a dog that is relatively easy to train (basic obedience, potty/house training, maybe protection and/or Schutzhund).
4- We do not have kids (yet) which means the dog would not be exposed to them so much. However, I have little nieces (plus we may have kids) and I want to make sure they wouldn't get hurt/bit by the dog (same with the neighboor's kids);
In light of the aforementioned, would you say that the GSD could be a suitable familly dog for us? If so, what type (show vs working line, level of drive, etc.) would best meet our needs?
Would you recommend a male or a female, given all of the above?
Would you know of a reputable breeder in Ontario, Quebec or not too far out in the US?
Thanking you in advance for your time and educated feedback.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome