German Shepherds Forum banner

Some recent Chickie Pics:)

2K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Anthony8858 
#1 ·
well my chickies are 28 weeks old today:) Besides my dogs, they have been such a joy and quite entertaining..I only have 3 of the 9 laying, probably because of the shorter days, some days I get 3 eggs, some 2 some none.

Anyhow, thought I'd post some recent pics of the girls:) Masi still occasionally will sneak in the run with me and give them all a lick or two:)
Thanks for looking:)

this is Dot

Buff sitting in my lap

Thelma & Buff, this one cracked me up, looks like she's going to say something to Thelma:)

Harriet

Lucy & Ethel

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks, they are so much fun, honestly I could care less if they never laid an egg:)

Chrissy how is Kai doing??? Good I hope:)

#7 ·
Gilly you hang in there! Your way closer to it than all of us, still surreal..Lots of new pics on the forum to hopefully cheer you up

#14 ·
What absolutely beautiful birds you have!
I especially love the photo of Thelma and Buff.
I’ve never seen one like Harriet, such gorgeous unique feathers.
Looks like you have a really nice chicken pen.

We rescued a Plymouth Rock rooster once, he was quite the stunning boy and very sweet, too! I loved watching him, petting him, and simply spending time with him. We kept him in our feral cat/foster bedroom for the night before rehoming him with an incredible animal sanctuary. I really hated having to give him up, he’s such a lovely good boy and got along so well with all of our pets.

LOL, I spot a German Shepherd in the last photo! J

#15 ·
I never thought I'd ever say "my, what beautiful chickens you have"
but they are something, do you show them? They look groomed

#21 ·
The brown speckled one is a Speckled Sussex. The yellowish one is probably a Buff Orpington, the white one with the black neck feathers looks like a Delaware but the comb is wrong--Brahma maybe? The black ones are likely Australorps, and the black and white one is a silver laced Wyandotte.

Am I right?

#22 ·
Gator, no I don't show them:) they are just clean chickens:))

Yes the brown is a speckled sussex, and freestep your partially right.

the buff is correct, the white/black are silver laced wyandottes, and the white one is a columbian wyandotte and yeppie australorps.

Carolina, I'm doing the same thing, if I don't eat them, family is getting them (eggs that is!)...yours is PRETTY, I'm thinking of adding some barred rocks.

One who mentioned how clean the coop is,,welll I do clean it out daily! My "coop" got demolished in Storm Sandy, (well the majority of my 12 x 20 Dutch Barn that is!) wanted to rebuild but I'm finding it is cheaper to just get a whole new barn prebuilt..

#34 ·
Agreed. They're fairly docile and lay beautiful big brown eggs, as do the RI Reds.
I have a large chicken tractor for mine. I would love to let them free range but with all the dogs.... nope. :p

I would like to get some Sebrights and Silkies. I think both breeds are gorgeous too but just don't want to rock the boat with my current girls. If any turn out to be a roo...., well my one roo would be none too pleased and I don't have the heart to butcher any.

#25 ·
I'm not sure if it was one of your posts or another's who also owns chickens on this forum but after I saw it I started researching about them and I never realized what amazing pets they make!

We are allowed to have hens here where I live but I'm not sure my backyard is quite big enough(zoning laws require that they have to be a certain distance from houses), plus I have two neighbors right up my butt here, houses are right next our fence so not sure they'd appreciate it... Do hens make an unreasonable amount of noise? Anyways I hope someday to be able to move to the country back to the Midwest or back east... Cali is waaaay to crowded its ridiculous!

Your birds are absolutely stunning!

#26 ·
Some hens are more talkative than others--some will "announce" every time they lay an egg. "bok bok bok BUCKAWK! BUCKAWK!!" It's not as loud as a dog barking, and to me it isn't terribly annoying, but you know how people are. Some will get perturbed at the most benign-seeming things. Your best bet is to talk to your neighbors and ask them if they would be bothered by clucking hens. If you offer them a dozen eggs every so often, it may help. :)

#27 ·
what freestep said:)

I can always tell when someone is wanting to lay an egg, they start squawking, I just say "oh hazel go lay an egg" LOL...and no doesn't annoy me eiter.

They certainly are for the majority of time, very quiet..It's the roosters who are really noisey. I didn't want a rooster, tho I'd love to if I lived in the woods more..

Ordered mine from mypetchicken.com who gets them from Meyer..you can order as little as 3 ..soo even tho you have a small area, you could get a small amount:)

#28 ·
If I win the coop in the contest I entered, I will get to have my own chickens! Our city just passed a provisional amendment to allow residential areas to have up to six laying hens. I live in one of those uptight covenant controlled communities, so I would be the first to test it by having them. I'm up for that.

If I don't win, well, we'll wait until we get to our place in Colorado to have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.