German Shepherds Forum banner

Hey LEOs-- Being pulled over with GSD in car

10K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  dazedtrucker 
#1 ·
This is something I've thought about a lot, but still am not sure the best method to handle it. I'm curious on some other member's opinions.

I use a Champion seatbelt harness with Pimg in the car. She is not able to reach the driver's side windows of the car. She can reach (and stick her head out) the passenger side, rear window. She also will bark, loudly, perhaps even aggressively, if people walk up to the car with me in it. (Interestingly, she does not bark at people who walk beside the car- literally a foot or less from her with an open window even- when I'm not in the car.)

So anyway- say I were to get pulled over with her in the car. This hasn't happened yet, BTW- just hypothetically. I imagine the officer would be very put off, perhaps very nervous even, by the barking GSD that won't shut up. S/He doesn't know that the dog can't get to him... And I sure as crap can't get her to shut up. She will bark and it will be loud, and it will sound scary.

So what's the best approach? I've thought about this a lot, and I just don't know. Here's my thoughts- I'd like opinions if you have one...

1. Getting pulled over...
  2. Put on hazards/slow down/move over to indicate I see the cop, but don't come to a stop.
  3. Call 911- tell them I'm being pulled over, relay name, vehicle identification, location, etc, and that I have a restrained large dog in the car. Have them relay the message to the officer.
  4. Pull over, turn on interior lights so the cop can better see inside. Ensure all windows other than the driver's side are up.
  5. Hope the cop gets the message from dispatch...
I would be somewhat worried that the cop thinks I am trying to avoid them by not coming to a stop. Yet at the same time, if I did come to a stop prior to calling 911, there could be a timing issue where the cop isn't relayed the message in time.

Note that I have a small car where a crate won't fit inside. So let's not get into arguments about crating vs harnessing. Assume a harness is the only practical method of restraint.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I believe LEOs are prepared to see dogs in cars, as it's so prevalent.
Just carry on as usual, as the cop approaches, he/she becomes aware you have a dog in there.

When they reach the window, tell them she's restrained, and offer to get out of the car so you can hear and respond better.
Do not aggravate by jumping out of your car without being told - that's an offensive and dangerous action.
Keep rolling with lights on? Another "unusual" and hence, dangerous action as well.

In other words, don't arouse alarm bells by doing anything other than pulling over and stopping. Fiddling around with things in the car is liable to get a weapon drawn on you.

#4 ·
and offer to get out of the car so you can hear and respond better.
Yes, but do I give up rights by offering to get out of the vehicle? This is especially interesting if, say, I'm carrying a concealed weapon (legally). Now I've just complicated the simple speeding ticket process by introducing a firearm that the officer will want to check if I'm getting out of the car.

Honestly I would just pull over as normal and as soon as I rolled down the window inform them that I had a large restrained dog in the back.
Do you mean after they approach the car, or prior? I thought about this as well, but sticking my head out and yelling back at them could draw just as much negative attention as the barking dog...

#5 ·
There was an article about concealed carry, I'll try to find it.
Basically you simply announce you are carrying, you have the permit (they know anyway when they pull you over) and wait for instructions.
Usually the officer would say "put your hands on the steering wheel and don't take them off without my telling you" or some such.

#7 ·
Yeah, like you are all saying- I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time they had to deal with a barking dog. I'm just thinking that a barking GSD is a bit worse/scarier to deal with than a barking lap dog.

I know how to handle a traffic stop while concealed carrying- I was more referring to the advice about offering to get out of the car. That might not be such a great idea if carrying...

#8 ·
Okay here's what I recommend (I'm an LEO). Pull over safely as soon as possible, put up the rear window that the dog can get his/her head out of, turn on your dome light and roll down your window. Put your hands on the top of the steering wheel and as the officer approaches yell out the window the dog is restrained. Most cops are used to dealing with dogs in cars. We appreciate it if the owner has the dog restrained (many people drive with dogs unrestrained or in their laps and we get charged by the animal sometimes). Just be considerate and aware (as you obviously are already).

#15 · (Edited)
As a law enforcement officer, I would suggest the following.

Turn on your signal, pull over, activate your hazards, if it's night time turn on your interior lights. You do not have to roll the windo all the way down, just enough so the officer is not caught completely off guard. He should have seen the dog if he is approaching the vehicle as he's taught. Some officers will approach on the off-traffic side, which would mean the side the dog is on. make sure that window is rolled up.

I would NOT suggest getting out of the vehicle, unless prompted. In any case, if you are carrying a concealed weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle, let the officer know in advance. He'll find out when he runs your drivers license anyway. There is no need for you to do anything different. It is not all that uncommon. People with "toy" and small dogs are more annoying because they are usually all over the persons lap, barking and nipping. doing anything out of the ordinary only serves to heighthen the officers awareness, so if there is no need, don't do it.

In any case, if you feel uncomfortable, or the car pulling you over is unmarked and it's a less traveled area, then I would perhaps, turn on my interior lights, hazards, let the officer know you see him, drive slowly to a place you feel comfortable before pulling over. any officer should understand that precaution.

DFrost
Also, in addition to the above...as far as calling 911:

The officer is not going to know what you have in your hands
AND,
be aware that not all 911 calls going to the dispatcher will be able to get the message to that officer.
Not all agencies are on the same 911 system.

For example, if you are in NC and a State Trooper or an SBI Agent pulls you over, they have their own radio dispatch and are not on local 911 systems.

Also, if you're on or close to bordering counties, 911 can go to a different agency than for whom that officer works for.

:) Kat

#9 ·
I sent a PM to a couple of our board members to check this post.

I, uh, am the voice of experience in terms of getting pulled over with dogs in the car. I pull right over. I do a lot of high, happy talk with the dog - look who is coming to see us - wow, yay, aren't we lucky. I get my license and registration out and ready.

I put my window only partly down before the officer gets to the door. I have my hands on the wheel. I let them know if the dog is restrained or if I can get permission to put my hand/arm back to hold the collar of the dog. I talk to the officer about the dog/dog's name, type of dog, whatever I can fill in and make the dog seem adorable and not a threat, as I pass the information through to them.

None of my dogs have ever gotten me out of a ticket, despite their best efforts (barking or ignoring)!

#10 ·
That sounds reasonable enough, rangersdad.

None of my dogs have ever gotten me out of a ticket, despite their best efforts (barking or ignoring)!
:rofl: Yeah... I can't imagine why not! LOL!

#11 ·
So I'm probably a little extreme on this (especially because I'm like the most cautious driver ever and haven't gotten pulled over in 10 years, haven't gotten a ticket since I was 16 LOL), but I actually train for having people approach me with my dogs in the car. I do this because some years ago I was on the highway with my ACD Bandit, who will also behave protectively when people approach the car. There was a major accident up ahead and we were having to turn around in the median and go the other way. An officer was approaching each vehicle to tell us where to detour and where we could get back on the freeway. He approached my car, Bandit was dozing (this was in an old pickup truck with just the bench seat, so of course he was next to me) but as soon as the officer spoke, Bandit popped up and barked. The officer pulled his gun. It was a natural reaction, he put away immediately and apologized profusely, he hadn't known I had a dog in the car and I hadn't thought to warn him, but it scared the heck out of me. I realize it was a freak thing, but looking at the business end of a gun is not something I want to experience again.

So anyway, since then I have trained specifically for situations like that. My dogs will still bark if someone approaches the car without my knowledge, but they have learned that if I put them in a sit stay in the car, they need to wait quietly as I deal with the person. This is also useful at toll booths, drive-thrus, etc. ;)

Otherwise though, I would just handle it like Jean suggests (and put the dome light on if it's dark, which is a good idea anyway). If the dog is loose, I might only partially roll down the driver's side window--enough that we can speak and I can tell the officer about the situation, but not enough that there's any fear that the dog can get out.

#12 ·
As a law enforcement officer, I would suggest the following.

Turn on your signal, pull over, activate your hazards, if it's night time turn on your interior lights. You do not have to roll the windo all the way down, just enough so the officer is not caught completely off guard. He should have seen the dog if he is approaching the vehicle as he's taught. Some officers will approach on the off-traffic side, which would mean the side the dog is on. make sure that window is rolled up.

I would NOT suggest getting out of the vehicle, unless prompted. In any case, if you are carrying a concealed weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle, let the officer know in advance. He'll find out when he runs your drivers license anyway. There is no need for you to do anything different. It is not all that uncommon. People with "toy" and small dogs are more annoying because they are usually all over the persons lap, barking and nipping. doing anything out of the ordinary only serves to heighthen the officers awareness, so if there is no need, don't do it.

In any case, if you feel uncomfortable, or the car pulling you over is unmarked and it's a less traveled area, then I would perhaps, turn on my interior lights, hazards, let the officer know you see him, drive slowly to a place you feel comfortable before pulling over. any officer should understand that precaution.

DFrost

#13 ·
I think your best bet is to teach "Quiet" when someone approaches your vehicle. I've had a few incidents like you're worried about, but I've never had any problems. If anything, I've found that LEOs appreciate a GSD - unfortunately not quite enough to forgive a speeding offense, lol.

#17 ·
I can attest to never getting out of the vehicle unless the officer orders it.

On cold, winter night my mother was driving back with us from Regina. We blew a tire near one small town and mom called my dad who was on shift at the time to see what she should do (she doesn't actually know how to change a tire and dad hadn't taught me yet). Dad said he'd get someone from an nearby detachment to come out and help and he would drive down to meet us.

Alls fine, another constable came and helped change the tire and we were on our way expecting dad to meet us further up the road. About 75 km down the road we pass an on coming police car. Mom, thinking it's dad, slams on the breaks and pulls over. Cop car whips around, flips on the lights and pulls up behind us. Mom jumps out of the car and starts walking back to them. Way bad idea! Cops out of the car and guns drawn yelling at her to get back in the car. Not dad, car wasn't even from dad's detachment, so the cops in the car did not recognize her or the van.

So yes, do not act weird and do not do anything the cop doesn't tell you to do. (It also helps to know how to change a tire when your 50 km from anywhere on a winter night at -40oC.)

#18 ·
In the state of Texas (when you are pulled over in your vehicle) you don't have to verbally inform the Officer that you are licensed to carry a weapon. But you MUST provide your license WITH your CHL at the same time. Then the officer will ask if you have a weapon within reach. Then you are obligated to provide that information.

I don't think it a wise decision to blurt out "I have a weapon!" when an officer approaches your window.

We were told when you are pulled over, to turn on your hazzards, put your hands on the steering wheel and wait for instructions. Do not reach for your DL or insurance paperwork or anything until the officer asks for it.

If you have a dog in the vehicle, roll up all windows that you don't have direct control of. Make all attempts to quiet your dog vocally. The officer does not want to see you jerking around in the car, even if it's your attempt to control your dog.

Roll your window down enough so that the officer can clearly hear you, but not so low that the dog might stick his/her head out that window when the officer comes to it.

Allow the officer to make all decisions on how he/she wants you to proceed. If they request for you to exit your vehicle (so they can hear you better because your dog is barking it's head off) then do so.

Always remember that even though you are no threat to the officer, they certainly don't know that. Allow them to control the situation, comply to all requests (within your rights). The officer wants to keep you and your dog safe. The officer also wants to go home to his family.

#21 ·
In the state of Texas (when you are pulled over in your vehicle) you don't have to verbally inform the Officer that you are licensed to carry a weapon. But you MUST provide your license WITH your CHL at the same time. Then the officer will ask if you have a weapon within reach. Then you are obligated to provide that information.

I don't think it a wise decision to blurt out "I have a weapon!" when an officer approaches your window.
You are right...never say "I have a weapon". When the officer approaches and asks to see your DL, when you hand him your CHL, you tell him "Just so you know I do have my registered _____ in the car".

First off, it makes him feel safer and second off it can get you out of a ticket (rather than making the officer ask if you have a gun).

You don't HAVE to do this and can just hand over your CHL if you want and wait for him to ask you, but I like to keep things simple!

Very good advice about keeping your hands on the steering wheel.

A second piece of advice that my boyfriend told me---clip your insurance to the top of your "visor" (the thing with a mirror that you pull down to block the sun). He said even though it is routine, most cops say that every time a person reaches to open their glove box, their heart starts to beat a little faster because they never know what could be in it.

Oh, and I have had rocky in the back seat and a cop walked up and Rocky was growling in the back seat, with me already holding his collar. The officer just stood a few feet back from the window and said "I feel bad for anyone trying to rob you in your car!" as a joke. He was a K9 officer though and I could hear his dog barking from my car! No ticket :)

#19 ·
Agreed- "not getting pulled over" is not always doable. Sometimes it just happens- perhaps a seatbelt enforcement zone or something...

Thanks DFrost for your suggestions. Sounds reasonable enough! And Katsmuse- good point about 911 not always being in the proper district. I hadn't considered that.

#23 ·
I got pulled over once with three male GSDs in the van, though they were all crated. I got off with a warning. Not sure if the GSDs made the difference!

#26 ·
Trying to avoid blanket statements because we all know that there are cops out there that are not the best, that do things that terrify us as dog owners. But the reason we hear about them is because they are news, they are not the norm, they are in fact rare.

I can tell you that my contractor tells me that a cop threatened to shoot his dog if he couldn't get it under control -- American Eskimo, but I cannot tell you that I have ever had a cop threaten me concerning my dog.

And, to be frank, I have had a number of, hmmm, experiences with police -- no never been arrested or anything, but I have had a few, uhm, discussions with them.

Yeah, that first traffic stop at 16 or so, when I got out of the car and started walking back to them -- yeah and through his loud speaker he is ordering me back to my vehicle, only it is so distorted I cannot even hear what he was saying -- yeah I've had a few discussions.

In short, police in general like dogs, they own dogs, they understand that ordinary people care about their pets, and they do not wake up in the morning thinking about how they are going to shoot them some dog today. In fact, the paperwork involved in firing the gun probably makes them all hope they never have to pull the thing out. Yes, when they approach your vehicle, they are approaching and unknown, and the dog can complicate such things, but they are not looking to kill your dog. Most of them would feel terrible if they killed a dog of someone who wasn't doing anything.

But drawing attention to yourself by dragging it out beyond reasonable safety, or scurrying around in the vehicle, well that will heighten their suspicion and probably make them more edgy. If they are more edgy, your dog will be more alert and if reactive will probably have a few things to say about it. So that would be setting yourself up and setting the officer up.

I know we all like to give our dogs what they like, and what they like is to shove their heads out of car windows. But I figure the risk of a chunk of road debris flying up and taking a chunk of my dog's flesh or eye is a whole lot higher than the risk of a police officer shooting my dog at a traffic stop. Leave the windows up. Open them a little to talk to the officer, but don't let the dog get close to the window, nor expect the officer to reach inside for your information. Shove them through the window so that there is no way possible for your dog to connect with them.

Now in the Explorer, there is no chance that my dogs will be a problem to police or emergency services as they are properly crated in the back of the vehicle, but in the Honda, if I do carry one from here to there, they are loose in the car (I have a seatbelt somewhere, but had a dog get tangled badly, and I just don't trust them now). They are trained to stay in the back seat, ha! which means that while I am in the driver's seat they are back there, but if I happen to vacate the driver's seat, they take over keeping it warm. So far, I have been able to transact business at drive-thru windows, with the dog in the back seat and no problems.

Only once, when I had the Neon did I get stopped for a discussion with a dog in the car. I had pulled up behind a pick up truck at a stop sign,and was petting the dog who was hanging her head between the two front seats, when I followed the pick up through the intersection right in front of the Jefferson cop sitting there at the stop sign on my right. LOL. Yeah, Jean, the dog did not get me out of a ticket. I think she was too busy laughing at me in the back seat to bother with the cop.

He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. Well, I did. I mean I would have had to have been an imbecile not to. So I said a little sheepishly, because I followed that pick up through that stop sign. So this kid younger than the youngest kid in town I babysat years before, is telling me how much of a privilege driving is. Uh-huh, just give me the ticket will ya? He wrote, "flagrantly" on it. The lady at the courthouse thought that was funny, so I told her the story. She laughed and said she was surprised he could spell it.

No mention about the dog. She just wasn't an issue. If you know your dog will be an issue, make sure he can't be an issue, but evenso, I think your dog is far more likely to get struck by lightning that shot at a traffic stop.

#27 ·
Pull over, immediately. Put the car in park. Hands on the wheel. If you can turn on the interior light without fumbling around a lot, that's fine too.

It's normal to have a dog in the car. Make sure the windows are up obviously so she can't stick her head out. They may approach on the passenger side so don't count on them just coming to the drivers side.

As soon as the officer approaches, tell them you have a dog (they'll see her and hear her from the sound of it), but she is restrained by a harness in the back seat. They aren't going to care, and if you are nice and they like dogs they may even ask you about her. They'll appreciate that she's restrained.

Not that complicated, this isn't uncomon. Many idiots drive around with dogs on their laps or in the front passenger seat, so restrained in the back seat is nothing. :)

#28 ·
Thanks Rerun! I was actually going to PM you about this but figured everyone would like to have a discussion about it. We all love our dogs much and want to protect them. Personally, I'm of the opinion that thinking through this situation make me more prepared for how to deal with it. (Fingers crossed- haven't gotten a ticket in well over 7 years...)

#29 ·
Don't feel bad. I was once in another county in my personal car and got pulled over (yeah....LOL) a couple yrs ago and totally forgot that my 95lb bi color male GSD (micah) was NOT restrained in the car with the back windows rolled partially down. He stuck his head out right as the officer approached. It happens. We all do dumb things sometimes...I still kick myself about that one.

Definitely don't get out of the car to approach the officer as I think I saw someone else suggest. I skimmed but didn't read the whole thread.

#30 ·
Call 911- tell them I'm being pulled over, relay name, vehicle identification, location, etc, and that I have a restrained large dog in the car. Have them relay the message to the officer.
I don't think this would be a good idea. It is a crime to call 911 for something that is not an emergency, and this is not one. They also are not a message service and are not going to "relay your message" to the officer. We need to keep 911 lines free for true emergencies.

#31 ·
I was going to say this. It's not an emergency and those dispatchers need to be available for real emergencies.

I know we all like our dogs to be a bit protective, and no one is going to fault you for having a GSD that barks at approaching people, but at some point you should think more about training the dog to be quiet rather than thinking about what to do in case your dog is barking at a police officer.

#32 ·
My dad got pulled over along time ago when I was little with Smokey in car unrestrained he was barking growling although his bark is not as vicious, but his growl and appearance is. The officer had my dad get out and sit in the back of his car with his gsd, told my dad not to make any sudden movements and just answer the questions. My dad was so scared when he came back to the car.

#34 ·
My dad got pulled over along time ago when I was little with Smokey in car unrestrained he was barking growling although his bark is not as vicious, but his growl and appearance is. The officer had my dad get out and sit in the back of his car with his gsd, told my dad not to make any sudden movements and just answer the questions. My dad was so scared when he came back to the car.
Oh my gosh!! That was just plain mean! LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.