German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Question about Walking on Leash
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
shawnjanes

Send a message via Skype™ to shawnjanes
Default Question about Walking on Leash

Hi:

I have a five dog household. Two of the dogs have been recently added. Reagan is a 1 year old GSD and Baily is an 11 month old Lab. The other three dogs are small...a Morkie, St. Charles Cavalier, and Min Poodle.

The issue I am having is with the GSD. She has been with us for only two weeks. Today we went on a walk down our driveway. The driveway is a half mile long. I let my sister walk the Cavalier in front, my son walk the Lab in the middle and Reagan and I pulled up the rear. Reagan started whining and pulling. She even went as far as nearly thrashing at one point towards the other dogs - like she wanted to get to them or catch up to them. The other dogs were at least 100 feet in front of us. It got to the point, even with a pinch collar on, she wouldn't listen. When I corrected she made an audible sound each time, but wouldn't give it up. I brought her back up to the house, calmed her and then brought her back inside.

Reagan does have obedience training, I have seen her perform very well before I purchased her. She has done fine with me in Petco, and to the vet. She's seen other dogs at both places with no issues. This is the second time this has happened, both times same scenario.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. It's been a long time since I've had a young GSD. My previous dog, Madison, passed away three weeks ago at the ripe age of 15 years. Madison was trained in protection and was absolutely amazing. I don't recall her having any problems. It's possible I've forgotten the negative things because the good were so many.

I know Reagan is new to my household and myself. I'm not sure if I am expecting too much. Aside from venting a little, ::grin::, I'm looking for some guidance from you "guys". There's A LOT of experience here - I know because I read the posts every day. :-)

Thanks for listening and I look forward to some wisdom.

Shawn.