German Shepherds Forum banner

Breeding Setups

8K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  cliffson1 
#1 ·
So yet another question. I hope you guys aren't getting tired of me asking questions =( I'm wondering if there are any breeders on here that wouldn't mind sharing pictures/details of how they are set up? I'm trying to get a feel for how the better breeders are set up and what those set ups look like.

#32 ·
I'm not particularly interested in becoming a big, commercial breeder. I would want to be more of a smaller hobby breeder, as I love having the company of my doggies in the house with me and I wouldn't feel as comfortable with having to hire people to take care of my dogs for me. I was mainly just curious about people's opinions of these larger setups and what they may look like.

#33 ·
Personally, if I were a breeder I would want to keep it small so that my dogs could ALL be housedogs, but that's just not possible for a lot of folks
Co-owns could accomplish that if you trusted who you were in partnership with.

#35 ·
All else equal...I'll go with a breeder that keeps their dogs inside. It's a personal thing, not based on anything scientific or even logical. Just like to see that the dog is a pet first and a breeding animal second. Again...this is an all else equal thing and I would never rule out a breeder that has kennels. What selzer stated is probably very true, the more dogs you have the more likely it is that you are producing an all around "better" dog. The breeder isn't just using one female to get all their pups from, and is actually continually improving their lines by holding dogs back. If you intend to keep all dogs inside, it would probably get quite difficult at 5 or 6, unless you live in a mansion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.