German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - I need to stop walking in the dark!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bear GSD
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I totally hear you, I am also up and out at the crack of dawn. I've been waiting longer to go out but then I start running late for work. I don't have bears or coyote's but since it is hunting season I have to be aware of that. Over the years I've heard of the lone jogger or something getting attached by a pyscho or such, glad I always have a dog or 3 with me. I've just started heading back into the trails so I don't have to worry about a car or truck hitting us.
What about a loud sound to scare off anything out there?
Kiya, as soon as I saw the coyotes I started stomping my feet and they couldn't miss Bear's threatning bark. They pretty much took off. I wasn't really all that worried, but it did bother me that Bear kept looking over his shoulder.

What I really find interesting is that he barked at the coyotes (or the sound and smell of them) but when we encountered the buck and previously the bear, he did not bark but his hackles did go up.

I'm wondering what his reasonings are for being discriminite in whether he will bark or not. I just find it very curious.