German Shepherds Forum banner

Urban Mushing?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kyleigh 
#1 ·
Hey all we've been really busy since I haven't been here in a LONG LONG time!!! We have since started Urban Mushing (Dog scootering) I originally started out with our Border Collie as no one had an x back harness that would fit Yrie. (Would fit in the shoulders but not in the length needed for the harness to fit properly) We play disk with them daily, they run around the farm, run with the 3 wheeler. So that little collie (48lbs) pulled me 10km I was so proud of him!! (I also scootered when he was going slower. So they make an app called "Mush o meter" the next time we went out (flat ground dry, smooth terrain) we had someone time us. This is our stats.... rest time- 24minutes, Run time - 1h 12m 45s, Distance - 9.9km, Maximum Speed - 19.3km/h, Average speed 8.1km/h We were running along side a young husky.

I took Yrie my now 3 year old GSD out yesterday for the first time. I'm still waiting for the other lady to post the stats and I can share them with you. I was so excited that he caught on so fast. And MAN can he run!! And after that do you think he slept long? Of course not!! I think he really enjoyed it, but the sad part is... I don't know if I will be able to run them together anytime soon since Yries fastest speed was something like 28km/h at his fastest bursts (infront of the meter) so I'm not sure that little collie could keep up.

The group has never seen a German Shepherd take part in the urban mushing with there group yet and they were surprised to see his stamina yesterday and how well he handled the work out. I am going to take him out a few more times on flat runs then start introducing the not so straight trails. Does anyone else do this with there GSD? (We are in Southern Ontairo, where we still haven't had any snow and its supposed to rain this weekend) So Urban mushing is pretty much the only thing we can do regarding that. Hope to hear back!

See less See more
#2 ·
yay our stats finally arrived! the run was 9.8km, run time 1h 4m 30s, rest time 22m 51s, maximum speed on the meter 26.7km/h (our bursts were faster) average speed 9.1km/h. I think that was great for his first run and i kept holding him back. I wanted him to pace himself and not be to tired from the run nor over due himself. I'm proud of him, I don't plan on going on any runs any longer than that for a long long time.

#4 ·
I will be trying this winter. Ky's 18 months old, her sled should be here soon, and then I need snow LOL ... I hear ya, I'm in Ottawa, and we usually have at least a foot by now!!!

I just hope Ky takes to it, b/c I am so not a fan of winter ... I want her to enjoy this so she gets tired, and all I have to do is sit / stand and holler directions LMAO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.