German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Old dog, need advice (Cortisone shots or Rimadyl)
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
3dognite
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Good thing I don't have the codes for the nuclear football! There must be 3somebody in VT.

I don't know if it's the same in dogs, but for people, steroids put on weight big time. I don't know if the med itself helps to cause it (like some meds do all on their own) or the fact that you could pull up a chair to a buffet with a napkin tucked in your shirt and go to town, when you're on them!

If there is a place that does things like laser therapy, underwater treadmill (for weight loss - and not a lot of water needed for a Corgi!) you could try that.

And 8# weight loss will take some time to do. That's like 20% of his body weight right? I think (not good at math) that would be like a 200# person losing 40#. I am not sure the best way to do that with an older dog. But I am sure you can do it!
There May be a new vet in the area that has the hydrotherapy. We could probably walk him on the treadmill! We had 14 inches of snow overnight a week or so ago and the poor critter was having to tunnel to go pee! The cold is the worst for him, he just loses his spark and willingness to gallop through the snow.

He's not a real energetic eater and we're going to cut him back to about 1 and 3/4 cups of food. I may start working on massaging him, that's a looooong low back that he has so some extra lovies will be good. He's a bit heavy to be carrying up those steps though!

The vet knows we want him to lose some weight so I'm sure won't push the steroids if we opt against if weight gain is a fear. And I need to get him back on the glucosamine and cosequin too, that alone may bring his sparkiness back!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote