German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Old dog, need advice (Cortisone shots or Rimadyl)
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
3dognite
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Oh Corgis! Adorable! Good to see you 3dog! I would have sworn you were in VT!

DogAware.com Health: Arthritis in Dogs more info than you probably ever want!

Adequan for Dogs is a good article on Adequan, plus the website of the manufacturer has good info too. It's 8 loading doses - 2 a week for 4 weeks. Then you go from there - depends on the dog how often they need it (1-2x a month).

Holistic Care for Pets at the bottom she also has really good information on pain in stages - I find her info easy to read/get.
Nope, Montana. Yeah, I adore my little Corgi but their lifespan is about 14-16 years, so whatever I do, won't change that.

Thank you all so much for all the feedback. My spouse and I talked it over, and I think we're going to start with the least invasive/side effect med for now and see how he responds. He has put on some weight with the cold weather (he's 46 pounds and probably should be about 38--he's a big Corgi) and that's not helping, but the pain is keeping him from running as much as he used to so he's not getting his exercise.

Whatever the vet says has the least side-effects is the start. And he said that the injections of Cortisone are very popular and have few side effects, but we'll discuss the other options as well.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote