German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is this Exceptional?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg1
Master Member

Default Is this Exceptional?

So I am completely new to tracking, I have just done some basic reading about it and never much more.
I have a 10 month old GSD female who I have never done any nosework with. Lots of OB but no nose work.

Yesterday I layed tracks for the first time. Ground was frozen/wet with a light snow covering.
Track 1: Placed the dog in a down stay. Then layed a 40ish yard track in a straight line. Ever other step or so I dropped bits of cheese and crushed it into my prints. At the end I placed the tennis ball with a treat on top.
Hitched the dog to the long line, pointed at the ground and said search. Her nose went down and she immidiately found the first piece of cheese. From then on it was nose to the ground did some zig zaging but mostly stayed in exacly the track I had layed. Was on the tennis ball in about 1 minute.

Track 2:
Later that day drove to field she has never been in. Left her in the car, then layed another 40ish yard track with dry treats this time about every other or third step. Placed my car keys at the end with a treat on them. This track crossed recent foot prints of a dog and person.
Took the dog out of the car hitched her up told her to search. Off she goes does some zigging and zagging about two times kinda gets a bit off track, all I said was "your off the track!" and she immidiately gets back on the track gets about half the treats but pulls me right to the keys she sniffs around them for a few seconds the second her nose touches them I praise and reward with her ball. Track took about 1 minute.

TODAY Track 3: Went out to the field behind our house. Layed a track with her kibble and a few treats. Every second or third step. Snow is melted to grass is mostly wet/muddy. Layed about 100 yards of track. Track had 3 turns and passed over two area frequented by dogs and people. Placed a tennis ball at the end.
Went back inside after about 5-10 mins got the dog took her to the begining of the track told her to search also threw a treat on the ground. Nose to the ground she followed the track right to the end in about two minutes got about half the kibbles at the begining but towards the second half skipped most of them and dragged me to the ball. She did get destracted once or twice sniffing grass were im fairly sure dogs peed. I just said "your off track" and gave her line a tug. She immidiately got back to it.

In all cases I hid the ball and keys in longer grass so no she could not see the target from the begining of the track.

So is this normal? WHat are some good ways to challenge her further?
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote