German Shepherds Forum banner

electric pet fence

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  MiraC 
#1 ·
so i got this invisible pet fence off amazon for my gsd because he jumps our walls,i get it put in and put the collar on him and he gets shocked on high and it does nothing to him!..does any one know a good invisible pet fence that will work for a big dog like a gsd that does not cost an arm and leg????:help:

#3 · (Edited)
Sounds like he has a wall so that may be the fence???

We have the Hidden Fence brand.....it is American I think.....it is great...we have had no problems with it. Ours are set on less than medium shock strength and our dogs don't question it.....it goes up to 9 so we have a long way to go if needed but we have had it for over a year and no problems. I have heard the cheaper ones are a bit dodgy.....ours was on the high end in terms of money but considering you now may have to get another one the higher price may have been worth your while.
Good luck:)

Just a thought......do you have it snug around the neck?? Ours has to be fairly snug in order for the prong things to be touching the skin for a good contact.

#8 ·
yeah everything was on right and turned on high i could tell it shocked him he just didnt seem to care...the problem is he loves to jump so dang much its not just our wall he jumps,there are about 15 other walls and he jumps ours and then goes running thru other peoples yards jumping theirs in the order they go.all i see is him jump ours and then him pop up jumping the others going in the other direction from me and when he gets to the last yard he turns around and i see him hopping walls coming back to our yard.

#9 ·
Why don't you install a VISIBLE electric fence? I am working with two big dogs who freeze in their steps when they are outside after the owners installed one of those abusive invisible devices. They won't move a step and have a devastated look in their faces because they were severely pushed just by being outside; they don't know what hit them and why and changed from normal dogs into basket cases.

#11 ·
I have seen dogs dig under privacy fences and chain link fences, jump over them too.... also blow through invisible fences.

We have the invisible fence brand. Boundry training started before the fence was even installed, then more training when it was installed (he was 6 months old). I don't leave my boy outside alone. It's a training tool that's working for us, he respects the boundries and life is good.

It did cost us 1k +.

#12 ·
We have a PetSafe invisible remote fence and it keeps a Coonhound and Blue Heeler in I haven't put a collar on my German Shepherd pup yet I was waiting until she's 6 months old but if it keeps a coonhound in it will keep anything in you have to teach them where the boundaries are and it warns they are close with a beeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.