German Shepherds Forum banner

Behavior and training 1st time owner

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NDrugerGSD 
#1 ·
Hey guys new to the forms and new to owning a dog. Got my first German Shepherd last week. He is 8 weeks old. And I was wondering the best way to potty train him? Also He likes to bit hands, tug on clothes and go after feet and ankles. Was looking for some pointers on how to deal with this subjects and what not.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
Be warned that GSD are the bitiest puppies I have ever seen. I've had sheltie, terrier, poodle, labrador, and golden puppies before and have never experienced the amount of biting I've had from our current GSD puppy. The biting is starting to calm down a little now, but she still has two holes where puppy teeth have come out and adult teeth haven't come in yet, so I expect the biting to go on a little longer.

Potty training was really easy with our GSD puppy though. The first three days, I was never able to get her outside fast enough. As soon as she gave any sign of needing to go, I'd run out the door with her, but I never got there fast enough. I finally managed to get her outside before she finished on the morning of the 4th day and got her to go outside a couple more times that day. She figured out what the bells on the back door meant on the 5th day. After the 7th day, she only had one accident.

My puppy was 10 weeks old when I got her though, so that could definitely have been part of why she trained so fast.

#4 ·
Or you can look in the forums, under the puppy section, and spend the next 10 days reading everything!!!

You can also search for puppy biting, potty training, etc. and you will get a list of threads that mention these topics.

There is a TON of info in the puppy section ... don't be shy!

And welcome, and congrats on your new puppy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.