German Shepherds Forum banner

How to stop a dog from jumping on you?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Anthony8858 
#1 ·
Arexa is 7 months old and she jumps on us when she is greeting and when she is trying to get our attention, I know it's our fault for not correcting it right away but how do we stop this? For the greeting part I turn around and then she jumps at me from the back, ignoring her is hard now because its painful when she jumps can't just stand there and take it :) so far when she is greeting I sit down and tell her to sit and that had been very helpful so we are on the right track there but I cannot make her stop jumping to get my attention, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Mine is 15 months and just now starting to slow down with this. This is the only bad thing mine does:( She is now trained to jump on her side of the couch when we enter, then and only then will she get any attention. Mine doesn't do this with strangers but she will attempt it with anyone that she knows well(except for kids, she has never jumped on the kids) I had a trainer suggest that when you walk in the house, keep walking to a room and close the door..completely ignoring the dog. I know its hard when they are so big and all over you, but you shouldn't acknowledge the dog. You can also use a short leash and practice coming in. Getting the dog in a sit when people enter is the best way.

#4 ·
Our trainer has recommended either keeping on leash when you get home and prevent from jumping. Reward good decisions like sitting, lying down, not jumping, etc.

Or use baby gates to block your dog into a room and they only get to say hello once they are calm.

We are only 1 week into training, so we haven't made much progress yet, but the baby gate method is easier to manage ... that is if your dog doesn't jump the barrier.

#6 ·
piper has a jumping problem, too. what i've found works the best is just ignoring her any time she jumps on me.

I've also taught her to put her front paws on me/other things on command with 'up' so that i can reinforce 'off'.

#7 ·
I corrected that with a combination of things.

For starters, the usual "eh-eh" (no) gets her attention.

As soon as I saw the jump coming, I give her an "eh-eh", while simultaneously turning my back and asking her to sit. (Timing was critical. I didn't want to ask her to sit, with my back turned)

Having her on a lead, and recreating the scenario with a helper is also a good idea. Let the helper reinforce the sit.
Eventually, she got it.

As soon as I walk in the room, she would excitingly sit in front of me, knowing that anything else would be unacceptable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.