German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is it wrong to pick a dog due to color?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Anubis_Star
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I told Karlo's breeder early on that I didn't want a black pup. I wanted a sable. So if there were only black males in the litter I'd pass...and possibly lose the deposit.
I had a black dog previously and had my heart set on a sable.
I would have waited for another litter if there were no sable males.
Only two males were born~ all pups were sable! But I still didn't know for certain a pup would be for me until the temperament test at 7 weeks.
In hindsight, I know I'd kick myself for passing up a black male pup from that breeding.
I lucked out, getting a sable male, my dream dog!
If you have your heart set on a certain color, and know what the breeder is producing, waiting for just the right pup is not a bad thing at all! At the time I was researching getting a pup, Spartanville was the other breeder I was going to go with, but decided I didn't want all DDR lines.
I've been up in the air about pure DDR lines. The breeding I WAS in line for was pure DDR. However when the bitch didn't take, I moved to a breeding that was half DDR/half Czech. I am actually a little excited for that prospect.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote