German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
marshies
Elite Member

Default Post Spay and LESS Mature?!?!?@

So 3 weeks ago I was writing love letters all over Facebook and the forum raving about how mature Puppy has gotten, and what an enjoyable adult she has become.

I spayed her 3 weeks ago, and have noticed that she's reverting back to some of her more puppy-ish behaviours.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

For example, before-spay, she settled beautifully at night on the bed, and would sleep until the morning with just an early bathroom break. Now, she wakes up at night to chew on things, sniffs the bed, and just doesn't want to settle. Last night, she chewed off my iphone case and made dents on my brand new phone!

Another example would be, pre-spay, after meeting her exercise needs, she would settle down and nap in the house. Post-spay, she will get herself into trouble by grabbing things that she has LONG learned are unacceptable.

Pre-spay, we would let her outside in the backyard, she would potty, and come right back in. Now, she would go outside, dig herself all muddy, and then come back in without pottying.

Outside, we had been working on engagement with me and ignoring the environment and made great progress. After our little 2 week exercise ban, she goes outside and was so distracted and reactive...

Has anyone else experienced this?! What happened to my great mature dog, and why is she such a PUPPY again?!

I'm obviously upping the training and exercise given the circumstances, but I'm baffled. The vets gave her a clear bill of health and said she has healed beautifully.