German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Unsocialized, fearful adult dog
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
dogfaeries
Elite Member

Default Unsocialized, fearful adult dog

I don't even know where to start.

My friend's 3 year old spayed GSD tried to bite someone today. She says that she knows it is completely her fault because she never socialized her dog.

She's had her since she was about 10 weeks old. Outgoing, friendly puppy. We took our puppies to beginning obedience classes together, and she was great. She got carsick easily, so they just completely stopped taking her anywhere. The only place the dog has been in the last 2 and a half years is the vet clinic (where she hides behind her owners or tries to get under the chairs) or the grooming shop that she owns. That's it.

She is good with her owners. She listens to them. No trouble getting her off the couch, or taking things away from her. She's a very loving dog. And they love her very much. But...

When people come over to her house, they crate her because she barks at people, and they don't trust her. She barks and lunges at the neighbors every time they come out into their own backyard (chain link fence). I've told her over and over, that the dog isn't being protective, that she is AFRAID.

I know the dam and sire of this dog very well, and four of her litter mates (one is my dog). All fun, outgoing dogs that love kids. Except this one that has hardly left her home.

So here we are. She called me today, practically in tears, because her dog barked, lunged and then bit at someone.

She is horrified, and doesn't know what to do. She asked if she should start bedience classes. Get a behavioralist? I told her I would ask you all what you would recommend. I know, it's like shutting the barn door after the horse has escaped, but here we are.

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote