German Shepherds Forum banner

Please help!!! Zack limping ;(

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
First of all, I take all responsibility for this. I think it was my fault. So basically I was out with Zack on a walk, I had the leash blocked (it's a leash that's retractable) and someone was passing by, and that person (she) walked up to Zack to pet him. I was standing about a meter away, and the leash was tight as it was still blocked. Then Zack tried to jump up on her, and since it was blocked he fell on his back, immediately after he started crying and limping... I feel so terrible!!!! ;( ;( ;( ;( He is so tired right now and wanting to sleep, etc ... I feel like it's my fault and I feel so terrible right now ;( I tried seeing his back leg to see if anything is wrong, but when I was checking it I saw nothing, and when I touched his leg around he didn't cry or anything like that, it's just that it's hard for him to walk... If it's not better by tomorrow we are taking him to the vet :( Please tell me something I can do right now... ;(

#5 ·
The thing I'm most scared of is that he will stop liking me because everyone treats him nicely like let him go on their laps, give them treats for nothing and I must be the strict one that when he's doing something wrong I have to deal with it etc and I'm just afraid he won't trust me anymore ;(

#6 ·
Just rest him he should be fine. When my husky was a pup he ran full speed into a metal pole and his screams were like he was dying. 20 mins later he was fine like it never happened. And don't worry about Zack not liking you. They respect the "strict" human more as you give him boundaries and structure which our working breeds need.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#12 ·
Okay, so he is better today. However, he now seems to be scared of women. He won't go near a woman now... Should I be worried? I'll take him to a big park every week and the training classes from January... Should I be scared / worried that he'll be scared of women for the rest of his life? Please respond quick! :(

#14 ·
Do your best to be calm and confident at all times.
Your dog senses your worry and any insecurity you might feel. If you get tense and worried when you encounter women on your walks, so will your dog.
Tell yourself you are confident and in charge, and believe that.
Don't focus on the negative.
This will help Zach and you tremendously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.