German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecollars help

8K views 76 replies 19 participants last post by  sparra 
#1 ·
I just bought e collars for max to fix his minor inside home behavior. I introduced him with #2 stimulation and it seems like he got an idea that when i give him a command he better do it or he'll get shocked. i have no experience with e collars and i am just affraid that using this will make Max scare of things that i dont want him to do. any advise on how to use this device and your experience will really appreciate. i dont want to use this device this everyday because i love max to death and i feel like i am actually huring him or his feeling everytime i shock him. please help!!!

#2 ·
I'm going to move this thread to the training section:)

#3 ·
Hi there. I just started ecollar per my trainer's suggestion. Watching Michael Ellis videos on ecollar (3 part series online) and also reviewing the recall video by Michael Ellis where there's a brief section on ecollar helped me. You can do a search for it or let me know if you want me to look up the links.

I use mine everyday on our walks. My dog's feelings are not hurt because of it. She is still her happy-bouncy-walking-with-a-song-in-her-heart self on the walks and gets that the ecollar stims are just a signal for her to do something and better do it because I will follow up even at a distance. It also helped me tremendously with timing issues when working long distance. Today during our off leash walk, after reinforcing her long distance behaviors multiple times (mainly "leave it" and don't-you-dare-go-chase-that-invisible-thing) with ecollar I got the best ever "front" where it was fast and furious with a very tight finish. I didn't stim her to get the front, but just saying, she wasn't depressed by the ecollar and can be amped up for training still. If used right, the dog won't see it as a torture tool, just as an extension of your magical control over the dog. =)

I will say, the first introduction to my dog where I used the pager, it depressed her for hours. She refused treats the first time ever in her life. After that, she went back to normal and turns out to have quite a bit of tolerance for the stims.

#4 ·
Hi there. I just started ecollar per my trainer's suggestion. Watching Michael Ellis videos on ecollar (3 part series online) and also reviewing the recall video by Michael Ellis where there's a brief section on ecollar helped me. You can do a search for it or let me know if you want me to look up the links.

I use mine everyday on our walks. My dog's feelings are not hurt because of it. She is still her happy-bouncy-walking-with-a-song-in-her-heart self on the walks and gets that the ecollar stims are just a signal for her to do something and better do it because I will follow up even at a distance. It also helped me tremendously with timing issues when working long distance. Today during our off leash walk, after reinforcing her long distance behaviors multiple times (mainly "leave it" and don't-you-dare-go-chase-that-invisible-thing) with ecollar I got the best ever "front" where it was fast and furious with a very tight finish. I didn't stim her to get the front, but just saying, she wasn't depressed by the ecollar and can be amped up for training still. If used right, the dog won't see it as a torture tool, just as an extension of your magical control over the dog. =)

I will say, the first introduction to my dog where I used the pager, it depressed her for hours. She refused treats the first time ever in her life. After that, she went back to normal and turns out to have quite a bit of tolerance for the stims.
I only found first chapter of that video. can you find me a link for other two. Also, how did you introduce your dog to it. can you tell me more about your expereince.

#5 ·
Please thoroughly review how to use an e-collar before you start going around zapping your dog. They are a great tool when used correctly (which you most certainly are not) and can cause a LOT of issues when used poorly.

#6 ·
Here's the link to the 3 chapters. It's $25 per chapter. Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

I followed the video's ecollar progression - leash pressure, command with leash pressure, command then leash pressure with ecollar, ecollar then command and with leash pressure if necessary, then finally just command and ecollar (command/ecollar order at this stage depends on what I'm working on and what communicates to the dog best - used as a correction or to reinforce immediate compliance on first command). Keep in mind that the main reason I need ecollar is for off leash control - mainly recalls, leave it, emergency downs and waits. I started with the recall on ecollar and once she gets what the ecollar is for, I start to use it for other commands. The video explains the conditioning process and how to set it at the right level.

If the dog is close by, like inside a house, I rarely use ecollar because I can get her attention easily other ways. What is the minor inside problem you have? Perhaps people on the forum can suggest alternatives to ecollar, especially if minor.

#8 ·
Here's the link to the 3 chapters. It's $25 per chapter. Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

I followed the video's ecollar progression - leash pressure, command with leash pressure, command then leash pressure with ecollar, ecollar then command and with leash pressure if necessary, then finally just command and ecollar (command/ecollar order at this stage depends on what I'm working on and what communicates to the dog best - used as a correction or to reinforce immediate compliance on first command). Keep in mind that the main reason I need ecollar is for off leash control - mainly recalls, leave it, emergency downs and waits. I started with the recall on ecollar and once she gets what the ecollar is for, I start to use it for other commands. The video explains the conditioning process and how to set it at the right level.

If the dog is close by, like inside a house, I rarely use ecollar because I can get her attention easily other ways. What is the minor inside problem you have? Perhaps people on the forum can suggest alternatives to ecollar, especially if minor.
some of the problem inside house includes running like crazy back and forth i mean literally for at least 2-3 minutes fast continuously, grab socks and towels in mouth and run, unexpectly start nipping me, start following me wherever i go (doesnt listen to stay command), etc.

I kept him inside with ecollar today for couple hours and i felt like i was in heaven, he just sat there and chewed on his antler and then fall a sleep. i was surprise to watch Tv without getting up 20 times. Let me clear that I didnt used any shock on him i just pressed negative tone button and he behaved well thinkinh that shock is coming if ii dont behave well. I hope this work without me giving him shocks (that's the last thing i want to do, because everytime i shock him i felt guilty for doing that). thanks for your help.

#9 ·
This thread disturbs me. You have a puppy!!! Why are you shocking him to stop him from being a puppy? Don't you have a crate? That is where I'd put my pup if I needed a couple hours to chill. But I surely wouldn't use an e-collar.
By the way, I use an e-collar and it took a few months of foundation training before I actually used it in exercises.

Please re-read this as it is very important if you are going to continue to use it...
*******Please thoroughly review how to use an e-collar before you start going around zapping your dog. They are a great tool when used correctly (which you most certainly are not) and can cause a LOT of issues when used poorly.****

#11 ·
Its a pup bud, at least 1.5 years of craziness ahead. I would not use the E Collar to punish youthful exuberance. Get a crate, and EXERCISE the dog a lot. Work him in OB or sport if possible. Channel his energy and enthusiasm dont crush it. IMO if you raise him this way there is a good chance you will ruine his confidence and self esteem, leading to a shy insecure nerve bag.
I have strict rules in the house which I enforce with my voice and hands, but the dog MUST have an outlet for his energy. When in the home just crate, its really the best thing for pups.
The E collar is best for Recall and OB once the dog already KNOWS what he is supposed to do and has been introduced to the collar properly. I use it on my 11 month old pup when we are off leash works like a charm.

#12 ·
CRATE is a must if you want some piece in the house it is a safe place where the pup can relax and you can go about your things.I recentely bought mine for like $100 on amazon.com size extra large.. it took couple of days to get it...best money I ever spent on her.Now if I can't watch the dog I know she is quiet and safe in crate not chewing on the furniture and not destroying the house.. Shocking a puppy because he wants to play is ridiculous,would you punish your kid if it playful? You have to look at the puppy the same way you look at the baby,they don't know any better and they are troublemakers. And also if he is crazy in the house you really need to exercise him, tired puppies are very good puppies :)

#13 ·
i have no experience with e collars and i am just affraid that using this will make Max scare of things that i dont want him to do. any advise on how to use this device and your experience will really appreciate. i dont want to use this device this everyday because i love max to death and i feel like i am actually huring him or his feeling everytime i shock him. please help!!!
I'd suggest that you take a look at my articles to learn one way to use the Ecollar. Home It's essential that you show the dog how to turn off the stim. I think that the tool is best used at the lowest level of stim that the dog perceives. I also suggest using a tool that has at least 15 levels, more is better, and I recommend the two collars that have at least 100 levels, the Einstein brand (100 levels) and the Dogtra brand (127 levels).

Your dog should be at least six months old before you consider using the Ecollar.

#16 ·
I believe the OP's dog is over a year old.

To the OP - sounds like your dog may just need more exercise and general training. A growing GSD can take up a lot of time to train and exercise properly. If you take Max out for walks or play in the park for 1 hr each day and train for about 10 or 15 min at home on something, plus teaching him what is acceptable and not acceptable throughout the day, the dog will settle better at home. It seems like the dog just needs a release for his energy. For the problems you are describing, I think you can work on it without the ecollar. Otherwise his energy will continue to build and just suppressed.

Can you teach the dog "leave it" so that it's not taking your socks? For every behavior you don't like, teach the dog what you want it to do instead. Don't just say no to everything, if that's what you're doing. All this do take a lot of time initially but in the end you'll have a very very nice dog.

Feel free to message me privately if you'd like to talk further. I'm no professional trainer but I understand your frustration!

#18 ·
WOW!!!:mad::mad::mad:. I was really surprised with the replies. Nobody actual gave me suggestion or provided any help instead you all just went off and made me feel like i hate my dog and ii am ttrying to punish him. I love my dog more than anyone love their dog(s) on this site. Max is my first ever dog in my family. All I wanted to know was should i use this? is this a good tool? Safe to use? how to use it? but rreplies were shocking. By the way, i am returning my e collar back to amazon.com and I will see what other things i can do to make Max a happy family dog.

#20 ·
Instructing anyone *HOW* to use an e-collar on a forum is not wise! Look at Lou's site if you want more info on the proper intro/use of it.

Nobody is saying you hate your dog...you just don't know what you are doing with this tool and it is not going to "HELP" your dog!
Better to know now than before you mess up. We are in it for the dogs well-being only.
Because this is your first dog, find a good trainer to help you with your issues. I'm sure there are many around that would be willing to help you.

#25 ·
When it comes to e-collar training, there is a difference in instructing~ so offering the OP on how to train her dog is going to take months of instruction if it is done right. Some things cannot be trained on a forum.
I inform myself all the time, because I'd rather do my own research than just read a number of opinions from people I have no idea if they even know what they are writing about.
There are some things w/ training that should be left to the professionals instructing hands on...and this is one of them.

#27 ·
I agree Jane and that's a fine sentiment. However, in the couple of posts that I'm basically thinking of, nowhere in either of those posts did they mention seeking a professional trainer. They just said to do some research, which is what the OP thought they were probably doing by posting asking for information here on this forum.

#29 ·
Actually, sometimes the best advice is just to simply stop what you are doing immediately.

I'm sorry you do not like my post, but I do not give training advice on the use of ecollars any way shape or form over the internet nor do I endorse a particular trainer video or book. I felt it imperitive this individual does not continue their use of the ecollar and I want going to ignore that fact. But it it's all anyone will get on the subject from me....

#30 · (Edited)
Actually, sometimes the best advice is just to simply stop what you are doing immediately.

I'm sorry you do not like my post, but I do not give training advice on the use of ecollars any way shape or form over the internet nor do I endorse a particular trainer video or book. I felt it imperitive this individual does not continue their use of the ecollar and I want going to ignore that fact. But it it's all anyone will get on the subject from me....

But why didn't you just say that in the beginning? The "Simply stop what you're doing and please find a qualified trainer to help you in person?"

The bolded sentence is what is frustrating for people. It is almost like there is a "closed club" of "in" people, who know what they're doing and don't want to share any info with us lesser "pet" owners. Fine if you don't want to endorse a particular book, video or trainer. But just telling someone to "review" doesn't really tell them anything, let alone help them to find the right direction.

It's not about whether *I* like it or not.

#32 ·
Olivers' momma...the people who've posted on this thread are not anti e-collar nay-sayers. They(we) are telling the OP that learning how to use it effectively is very important! Starting a thread on how to use it is not going to work. From what I've read the OP wants a quick easy fix and with this breed there is none. Slow strong foundation training is what's needed in every aspect of training.

#52 ·
I've often heard the term "quick fix" applied to the Ecollar. The term usually means something that works very quickly but does not last, such as putting duct tape on a leaky radiator hose to get the car home, until a permanent repair can be made. While the Ecollar does give very quick results, it hardly meets the "temporary" definition. It's at least as lasting as any other method and when applied properly, probably longer lasting.

It's not necessary to "start a thread [here] on how to use it." My articles are available with a click of the mouse. I'll disagree that "Slow strong foundation is what's needed in every aspect of training." There's no advantage to "slow," in fact, most people DON'T WANT slow. The Ecollar gives results very quickly and much other foundation work can be done very quickly.

#33 · (Edited)
Well, if you read the post, they said they were scared of using it incorrectly, and they loved their dog to death and they were afraid of ruining him. This sounds to me like someone who just doesn't understand as much as many on this board. They were willing to come and ask for help here, and instead of the posts reading "Ecollars are excellent tools when used properly, please research some qualified trainers, talk to their clients and get some help in person, because it's too hard to teach this method and learn this method over the internet", they were told to "Stop and review the proper method of ecollars". Where? Where else to ask but a GSD forum? Obviously they don't know what ecollars are about. Maybe someone they know and respect in other venues advised them to get one.

I can tell you right now, some of my best friends in the world, highly educated, highly responsible and empathetic people in almost every way, have absolutely no freakin clue about how to raise a dog. As much as I love them, I actually think it may be a blessing that their oldest son is highly allergic to dogs, based upon behavior I've seen them exhibit at my house towards Rocket. Luckily I have a stable solid dog who just takes it in stride, albeit with a confused "Wha..?" The point being, as has been mentioned before, we all start somewhere and they at least had the instinct that they're not doing it right, therefore prompting the post here.

#35 ·
Oh, I LOVE the fact the OP came here for help! I just wanted to make sure some of the negative comments the OP has already gotten & those she hasn't gotten yet will not cause her to leave. Been there, done that. The use of the ecollar is probably the hottest topic here & causes the biggest clashes.

I don't think I was out of line for giving her the warning that this topic may spark controversy. She already saw it for herself & was going to return the collar... My suggestion was that Lou Castle be contacted.

And, as far as finding a topic that fits one's needs - in a forum as large as this - that truly is searching for a needle in a haystack. I'm VERY glad the OP came here.:)

#40 ·
Lou has chimed in...others have suggested Lou. I think the OP understands that Lou's site is the place to go for the info. Whether or not she follows through consistently on the training will be key.
But before Lou posted, the OP had already been zapping her 14 month old pup for having the zoomies.

#42 ·
Lou has chimed in...others have suggested Lou. I think the OP understands that Lou's site is the place to go for the info. Whether or not she follows through consistently on the training will be key.
But before Lou posted, the OP had already been zapping her 14 month old pup for having the zoomies.
When I hear someone use the term "zapping", I assume that they mean the stim is extremely high and painful. I really don't think the OP was "zapping" since he/she didn't describe the dog's reaction like most dogs would react to being "zapped" at high stim (yelping, jumping, avoidance, stressing, etc). And what's wrong with wanting your dog to behave in the house? The OP said the dog was running, grabbing things he wasn't supposed to, nipping. To me, that's not appropriate and it's not just having the zoomies, especially if the dog is nipping at people.

#44 ·
Yes, the bottom line is those are fun behaviors for a dog, that involve the patience and humor of the pet owner. Those two things mean that you can do what is needed for training - those 3 D's that involve time and proofing. The three D?s of dog training and why you need to know about them | Dog Star Daily

Dogs that love to zoom, love to grab potholders and socks and important papers and help you wrap presents are dogs that you can enjoy! Last night my youngest, smallest dog (30#) did try to help me wrap presents. At first, because I was being so human (need to get this done, got to do it right) I was uptight. Then I looked at the joy in his face as he saw that big, moving paper and shiny bags of bows (bow toys???) and yay I dropped the tape wheeeeeee around the kitchen with that - and I ended up laughing so hard that my presents looked like they had been wrapped by a 2 year old. Had I been serious about wanting to do it well, I would have put him in his crate and given him something to do in there - he has a lot of energy and it needs to burn off.

OP, take a look at this article: Relationship based Approach to Training | Suzanne Clothier and see where you can go from there. And more of her articles here: Articles | Suzanne Clothier

#46 ·
Yay!! Wishing you and your pup the best! In the meantime there are several threads in the training forums to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.