German Shepherds Forum banner

Safety vests.

8K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  DnP 
#1 ·
Anyone use them on their dogs? I'd like to get some reflective safety vests for Gryff and Keeta, but I'm picky, and would have some specific requirements:

- Ease of on and off - some vests like these look like too much trouble to put on and take off as it looks like the dog needs to step into it like a pair of pants:

Someting like this seems easy to use but not sure about the short length,

One or two straps around the body? (does it make a difference?)

Lenght on the back - I like the "traditional" full back look, like this:

but a lot of the models I see when I do an internet search are half-lengths. Has anyone found advantages or disadvantages to the full length vs. half length?

Special considerations for very cold weather: I would like something loose fitting and lightweight as to not interfere with the dogs' natural coat's insulation properties (so the first pic is out - dogs has to step into vest, and looks too snug). Something that sheds snow, and no plastic reflective tape that cracks and breaks in cold weather, like the reflective strips on my own safety vest I wear for walks (gone!).

This type of reflective tape is NO:

Plastic reflective tape gets brittle in very cold weather and breaks into pieces and falls off (as I know from personal experience).

And I'm pretty picky about esthetics too - Just want a decent looking vest, something like this:

And I don't really care for the half-size vests like these:

But I may change my mind about that if I read enough raving reviews.

There is just so much choice when doing an on-line search,
wanted to hear back from others about their experiences with different type of vests.

See less See more
#28 ·
I plan on trying out this collar on some of our long coated dogs (we have 1 GSD, 2 shiloh, and 1 Golden on the team with long coats) to see how it works there.

#29 · (Edited)
#30 ·
Someting like this seems easy to use but not sure about the short length,

One or two straps around the body? (does it make a difference?)
I have this vest. It is highly reflective and easily seen at night. I mainly used it when Phoenix and I lived in our previous house and had to walk a portion of a semi-busy road with a narrow shoulder. I also used a reflective leash and I, myself, wore a reflective vest. The vest is easy to get on and off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.