German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Please critique this training exercise
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Anthony8858
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm not sure I totally get the question (or the goal) but I do a lot of training where instead of luring the dog (food in hand, holding a ball on my shoulder) I'm deliberately showing the dog what they want, putting it where they know it is, and making them do what *I* say first. So with Nikon this would be doing a little teasing/loading him up for the ball, then I drop the ball on the ground and do stuff like heel around it, even walk over it. When I'm satisfied with the intensity and attention I mark and release him to go get the toy.

In the formal retrieves I want fast, powerful retrieves so I'm more careful about how I do things i training. Normally I work on the impulse control (waiting in basic position for the retrieve command) separate from the actual retrieving, so I don't do many retrieves where I throw the dumbbell and then make the dog wait longer or do other stuff before retrieving. I say this because I've never had my dog leave me early in trial but I did have one instance where I had to give him a second retrieve command.

Whatever you do, just be sure to always mix it up and not unintentionally pattern train behaviors or anticipation that you don't want.
I'm not gonna comment on your comment, because I recognize so many errors in my approach. It does get frustrating for me.

HOWEVER, I do want to say that I can't stop looking at your avatar. That dog is so stunning.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote