German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Please critique this training exercise
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
hunterisgreat
Crowned Member

Did you say "wait"?

I would have made the dog sit or down, then throw, then release/command for retrieve (but get the retrieve.. the dog anticipated another stick being thrown and didn't bother to bring the one it had back). I wouldn't say "closer", i'd say "no, front". otherwise the dog isn't learning what a front really is. I'd also use a platform to get the front positioning close enough and not crooked.

As far as your commands. Your praise didn't sound like praise. The dog needs an energetic praise.. if you had said "excellent" like a prosac'ed overdosed idiot, she'd probably have a) come back faster, b) the proper front will be easier to get, and c) not lowered in drive. I'd also keep the second stick out of view. You don't want it moving around while you command.

I wouldn't call the dog back, down them, or otherwise mess with them when they are going to get the stick often... *maybe* 10% of the time. Otherwise the dog will get less and less enthusiastic about getting the stick and more and more trying to anticipate you giving a command.

WHat are your training goals? IPO? Some other sport? Just for fun?
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote