German Shepherds Forum banner

What games did your dog invent?

678 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kdrees 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a a fun game WD invented himself. He is in a down position on top of the (carpeted) stairs holding a ball while I am sitting downstairs looking up at him (yes I know, but I can afford it :) ).
He drops the ball and watches it bounce down the stairs, I catch it and I throw it back at him and he catches it and it starts all over.
Variation as his impulse control has improved dramatically: I catch the ball, he remains in the down on top of the stairs and I hide the ball. I release him to go find it and he does, runs back up the stairs (his invention!), lies down and drops the ball again Since he invented it himself he is awfully consistent.
Curious to read of your dogs' creativity.
BTW: WD must be a positive trainer as he taught me this without hurting me, that's why it is so much fun to work with him ;)

#2 ·
When Stark was a tiny puppy we brought him to the park and had him play on the playground... go up the stairs, down the slide, walk on the unsteady bridges. We did this to get him used to all kinds of surfaces and we treated him and made it a very positive experience. Now, when we go to the park he will drop his ball at the stairs, climb up and run down the slide and I throw his ball. He will do this forever. He just runs down the slide, gets the ball I threw and drops it back at the stairs as he climbs up to do it all over again. He made this game up, lots of great exercise for him and a tired, well behaved puppy later for me :)

#3 ·
Before we got the puppy, Havoc invented an elaborate game that involved him running loops around the fountain, touching a tree with his nose and pouncing on an invisible friend. Now that he has his own dog, he involves her in the game but it still has the same rhythm as his solo game.

This reminds me of a joke about games that sad children play, "Hide and Be Lonely" and "Studio Apartment."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.