German Shepherds Forum banner

Would you let your dog pull a child on a sled? (in snow, of course)

11K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Jrnabors 
#1 ·
Have you ever had your GSD pull a sled in the snow?

#32 ·
I would. If your dog goes crazy over critters teach your kid to jump out. Bailing out of my sled in a sticky (or should I say slippery?) Situation always worked out best for me. Probably saved me from great injury..

#33 ·
My dogs have always love to pull children in the snow! Be forwarned - they want to go fast. I teach mine to go, stop, slow, left and right on leash without being attached to anything. I've always used properly fitted weight pulling harnesses and usually a cheap childrens sled. The steering is bad so keep away from roads but they really do enjoy it.
One adult gsd can certainly pull an adult person. I'm not a very big person but my dogs have all been able to pull me by myself. Mind you not for long distances or at high speeds though. But two gsds, a good trail, the gt snowracer and me and the games on. Once they get going they can pull me quite fast and for half an hour or so anyways.

#36 ·
It's only a must if you have an older kid who doesn't want parents walking the dog. no matter how well I train my dog, I wouldn't turn him loose with my 2 yr old on the sled behind him....

Mostly, our son will get a kick out of being pulled around by the dog so that's our reason for doing it. And a little less work perhaps for us to not drag him around.

#37 ·
Ottawa would be a great place to do that. I lived there for 18 months going to St. Paul University up on Main. Can you take her down on the canal? I'm surprised you don't have snow now! I remember last seeing dirt there at the end of October, lol!
You would think!!!! It rained all day yesterday and was +5 ... so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Kyleigh already knows left / right and stop, so it's just the GO part, and keeping it at a normal speed.

My nephew is "all-boy" so if he wipes out, he'll think it's a blast and want to do it again.

I don't think I'm allowed to do it on the canal, but I'm friends with farmers and people that live "rurally" so I have lots of places that we can go.

My nephew will NEVER be allowed on it without me either leading Kyleigh, or me standing behind him on the chair.

He's only 6, and loves speed, and I could just see him encouraging Ky to go faster!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.