German Shepherds Forum banner

Things Do Get Better

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Kyleigh 
#1 · (Edited)
As I was cleaning today I came across a notebook that had a letter that I started to write last January. In that letter I was telling someone that I was going to have to give up Robyn(my GSD). She was 4 months at that time. I couldn't handle her energy or her not being able to be potty trained. I mentioned how she tested my patience daily, she literally drove me nuts. Per my letter I thought she had ADD. I also stated in the letter that it was sad because I felt she had potential. As I was reading this letter, Robyn(now 15 months) was laying next to me chewing her deer antler. She noticed me looking at her, because by now the guilt I felt as I looked at her almost made me cry and she looked at me like she could see clear through to my soul. In this moment I felt so connected to her and felt the need to explain to her how happy I was that I stuck with it. This dog is amazing and more then I could ever ask for. Once we got past the potty training and I started understanding her needs, we were off and running. She has excelled in everything that she does, she is fearless, and confident. I take her with me everywhere with no problems. I actually like walking now and get more exercise because of her. She might very well be my heart dog. I can't imagine my life without her. I can't even explain how I feel about her, but I'm sure lots of you can understand it. I want to thank everyone on here for their opinions and thoughts, because as much as I think I know, its always good to hear what others think. I'm so happy that I stuck it out and even happier how she turned out.

See less See more
#4 ·
I feel so guilty...I think I'm taking her shopping, she can have anything in the store she wants:D

#6 ·
I have never given up any of mine either, but this one was a challenge, good thing I like a challenge:) She wore me down, but now that I know what lots of work can do, I'll be ready for my male GSD in the future:)

#8 ·
Everyone on here helped so much. So much reading and research, which I should have done before I got her to begin with. Its a learning process, but lots of thanks to people here. I can only hope others that come here with problems can find a way to see that people just try to help. It can mean the difference between a dog that is enjoyable and one that is a mess.

#10 ·
I'm still considering getting rid of Hector and he's 2.

(not really, I'm just kidding...but I know how you felt when it comes to a difficult dog!)

#11 ·
Well, I didn't write a letter, but a week before Sting was due to arrive, being he was my first puppy, I got cold feet and nearly cancelled. I had myself in a panic over the house training - which I had never done. Sting was smart - he was a real easy puppy. Then when he knew he was a keeper, at 8 months he burst out into his adolescence. That's when I would keep repeating "when this is all over, I'll be a confirmed cat person". To my surprise, Sting had the last laugh, when the elderly cat went to catnip heaven, I'm content with Sting and even when that day comes, looking forward to starting with another puppy. Congratulations on sticking with your puppy and now enjoying the hard earned reward of having a well trained adult.

#13 ·
Avery is in his adolescence phase and I have thought so many times to rehome him. I have a wonderful trainer who works with us everyday and reminds me that it's only a phase. I know in 6 months or so Avery will grow out of this and be a whole different dog.

I could never honestly be a "this is my dog until..." person. My parents were like what with some of the cats we had when I was younger and that's not cool to me now that I'm older.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#14 ·
Oh yes, I so remember those months ... and Ky's 18 months now so it wasn't that long ago!!!

I used to threaten to drop her off at the park ... but then remembered that everyone knew her, so she'd just end up back at my front door.

I've threatened to trade her in for a hamster

I've told her that I would GLADLY give her to the next person that said she was beautiful

And I sat on my bed one day (she was about 8 months old) and broke down and cried ... why the heck did I get this dog??? Really, what was I thinking getting a purebred dog? Why couldn't I have been happy with a mutt, like all my other dogs?

And then, the moments pass, and the puppy shows you something funny, and you forget about it (til the next time) ... and then WHAMMO ... they're not doing any of those behaviours any more ... and you know what ... you don't really notice they're not doing them until it's been a couple of weeks!!

Glad you hung in there ... as am I!

#15 ·
Spirit wore me down too. 12 years of a calm and now aged golden retriever, I had no idea what was in store for me with Spirit. Honestly, I barely remember the first 3 months of having him, I think I was in total shock LOL. My family expressed concern and ever-so-gently suggested I consider my options.

Trading in for a hamster :rofl:

I didn't consider giving him up, but I sure did question if I would survive.

#17 ·
I'm struggling so much at the minute with my five month old pup because i have a baby daughter and i'm working part time as well. His training is going fine, it's just his constant hyperactivity, lol.

#18 ·
Do you have someone that can come and take the pup out for a bit for you? Just to give you a break? I also have two parrots and a cat - not the same thing as a baby, but having to rotate times out / making sure all get attention ... it's a handful!!!!

Last Christmas my dad asked me what I was getting Ky as a present ... I told him the continuity of life ... figured that was a good place to start!

#19 ·
I think too many people expect perfection over night. I think they take their pup's actions too personally. I also think they don't realize that advice given over the internet should be taken in as a consideration and not as gospel. They need to realize every dog is different and every training tool needs to be tried in variations.

I think if folks would just relax and know they are in it for the long haul, rejoice in the little things, it would take the pressure off training.

#20 ·
Lilie ... I was SOOO guilty of that!

I have high expectations of any dog I own ... I have zero tolerance for a "badly behaved dog (not puppy) ... I know it's the owner's fault, not the dog!

I had to stand back some times and say Marion, back off, she's only "x" months old ... And then yes, rejoice in the little things .. like chasing leaves in the backyard, doing all the funny things that puppy's do that you'll never see again!!!!

SOOOO true Lilie ... and a great reminder for people in the puppy stage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.