German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Aerial Search Dog!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
RowdyDogs

Default Aerial Search Dog!

Just wanted to share a funny thing that happened at training today. We were in an extremely high-distraction area so I "warmed up" Hector by being the subject for his first runaway--get his brain thinking about searching, as it were, before switching to subjects he doesn't really know. We in a recreation area without a whole lot of cover, so I hid behind this bank of dirt that was maybe 6 feet high. My teammate let Hector go and I could hear his bell rapidly approaching...and then go right by on the other side of the bank.

"Where the heck is he going?" I wondered to myself, debating whether to pop up and grab him because I was worried he'd get into trouble. Suddenly, movement above me caught my eye and I looked up just in time to see my 65-pound Shepherd launching himself off the top of the bank and directly at me! One mad scramble out of the way later, I was rewarding my very proud dog. According to my teammate, he never even hesitated--he knew right where I was, and chose the most direct route!

So my question is, are there any paratrooper SAR units? Because I feel like Hector may have talent for it.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote