German Shepherds Forum banner

Partner with a Tiny GSD

635 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  1sttimeforgsd 
#1 ·
Hello all!

My name is Courtney and the little pointy eared dog in the avatar there is Felicia, my second Seeing Eye dog. She comes from The Seeing Eye (TSE), Inc. in Morristown, NJ, the oldest guide dog school in the US and we've been together 10 months today(!)

My girl is tiny, at 19 and a half inches tall at the withers and my instructor said she was 44 pounds when we were matched, but my class supervisor says she was 50lbs, not sure which. She is a purebred GSD, and TSE does breed some dogs smaller so they can fit better under bus seats and in various other public settings. My first dog, Kazzi, a purebred female black Lab is 50lbs and about 21 inches at the withers. She's retired and still lives with us (keeps 'Lisha in line and entertained) and just turned 10 a few weeks ago. Kazzi worked for me for 7 and a half years.

Felicia is my first German Shepherd, and I am continuously amazed at her intelligence and well... drama queen personality. She's very bouncy, very friendly, and very cuddly (way more outgoing than Kazzi ever was). I get compliments on how pretty she is all the time, and have to keep her from wanting to say hello to everyone while she is working.

As for me, I work for the government and am working on my Masters degree in Forensic Psychology, and have lived in Philadelphia for 2 years now (as of yesterday) and have become used to the public misconception that Seeing Eye dogs are aggressive (the neighborhood in which we live is not the most educated on working dogs) though oddly, I have gotten better reception fof my GSD than my Labrador. Overall though, the city has been great and Felicia loves the urban environment.

As for hobbies, I am a digital painter, and mostly work in fantasy and animal work. SingleSight Studios: The Art of a Legally Blind Artist All of the work in there is mine, and before any of you ask, I am legally blind, due to being born 16 weeks early, and cannot see well enough to get around without a dog, but can see well enough to still paint. I have had no formal training and have been doing art officially as a hobby for 15 years.

So... hi :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome Courtney and Felicia! I would have responded sooner, but was too busy looking at your art work. Very impressive. I liked them all, but really loved the heron. I'm so glad you are enjoying your first GSD. "drama queen personality" Yep, that about sums it up. LOL!

Hope you enjoy your time here. Beware....It's addicting.
Jan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.