German Shepherds Forum banner

Things you didn't know about GSDs

167K views 361 replies 250 participants last post by  Sebastian Murarescu 
#1 Ā·
Until you owned one... I'd love to know odd and some mainstream facts that people just did not know about GSDs until they own one.

I'll start - the whining! I was told when researching the breed that they are not big barkers and usually only bark when they feel its necessary. I can attest to that as my dog really only barks when there's someone at the door or when those **** delivery guys slip menus under the door :) whereas my neighbor's sheltie seems to just bark its head off out the window and seemingly nothing...

What I wasn't told is the whining :). not whining dogs who learned whining will get them what they want but whining as most GSDs do - being vocal, whining when excited, whining when I make funny noises, sometimes just whining out of nowhere (not including health issues that we do not know about that's causing them pain or something) - German shepherds are just big vocal dogs that love to "talk" ... I did not know that until owning one but once I did and asked other shepherds' owners they all pretty much said "oh yea that's a GSD for you" lol

so, what did you not know about until getting a shepherd?

#337 Ā·
Sheding a lot.

I found that out my self on the first one and the second one is no different. We have a romba robat vac we let run around the house to clean it up and after 1 hour, it is full and we run it daily. It also gets sucked din under the refrigerator and will block those cooling fins if you don't vacuum:smile2: them or blow them out once a month. Even so, its all worth it, great dogs.

#324 Ā·
I did not know they can talk. Till i owned my first. My current GSD is the worst gob ****e ive ever owned, he has something to say about everything!
and because the kids were younger, he can say hello, ****, and a goodbye phrase that starts with F and ends in OFF.

My dog can mimic any dog's call. So he can sound exactly like my neighbours Jack russel, and the donkey up the road. Echolalia its called. I love it.

That they dob themselves in, with that prancing gait, every time they are up to mischief. When i see that prance, i know he's done something wrong.

#327 Ā·
Their ESP/intuition. It's absolutely off the charts.

#328 Ā·
I didn't know ANYTHING about GSDs until I got my first one. She was the first dog or puppy I'd ever had. She was free, an "accident" from a couple of other GSDs whose owners weren't watching them closely enough. I'd always been a bit fearful of dogs, and I thought that getting a puppy would help me learn about the dog & bond with it before it got big enough to intimidate me.

I was so eager to learn, and to do everything right. I read extensively and talked to everyone, and was fortunate enough to work at a place where they let me keep her with me all day. I think I expected a lot from her, based on what I'd read about GSDs.

But what I didn't know was that I would be educating and teaching her, rather than training. I didn't expect her ability to understand new people & new situations, to figure out what she could do to help, without being told. And I never expected the way she would be able to read me, my emotions, & become an actual friend.

#334 Ā·
That they demand a relationship with you like no other. They insist on a deep emotional connection and will not settle for less.

When I first met my husband, I had five GSDs. Every guy I dated claimed to be a dog lover then proceeded to gripe about the dog hair and the jumping up (I love dogs jumping up on me, so I don't correct it. You don't like it--don't come over).

Dh fell hard for them. Early on I told him they had such individual personalities that once he got to know them, I would be able to describe a behavior and he'd be able to tell me which dog did it. It happened.

He ended up fully engaged with the dogs and became a wonderful dog daddy. So I married him.

#338 Ā·
I didnt know anything about GSDs or dogs at all untill I got my first GSD, always had cats growing up. From a young age I liked how GSDs looked and that they were smart and very capable, and a little bit reserved. I thought it would be cool to have one. I really had no idea how much joy and happiness they can bring to your life and how much they can teach you about life. After having my first GSD I don't think I'll ever be without one, they just make things so much fun and fulfilling.

#340 Ā·
I really had no idea how much joy and happiness they can bring to your life and how much they can teach you about life. After having my first GSD I don't think I'll ever be without one, they just make things so much fun and fulfilling.
Can I get an Amen for Astro's post? Me too Astrovan. Life is much better with a German Shepherd.

#342 Ā·
Really an enjoyable read :)

All dogs seem to be able to read our emotions but having multiple dogs in the past it seems to me that GSD are just a little bit better than other breeds in being in-tuned with their owners.

I love how Maverick (RIP) and now the 11.5 month old kid - Ranger learned how they could be a bit rougher with me while being more gentle with my wife.

I love how they seem to learn things you weren't even trying to teach.

Ranger is definitely a Landshark and Counter-surfer. :D

He's starting to mature some, but occasionally will still grab one of my feet and hold for a few seconds then do teeny tiny biting - kinda tickling me. Almost like he's thinking "I know I'm not supposed to bite your feet, but I really want to bite your feet."

#345 Ā·
Just how Velcro-like they can be. I knew they were watchful and followed their owners around but not being able to go to the bathroom alone ever again or sneeze without them jumping up out of a dead sleep looking for the threat to mom or dad... wow. lol.

THIS!! My first GSD wasn't this way, though she was very bonded to me, and got diarrhea from anxiety when I went away, but the next one, Ranger, monitored every sneeze and cough! He was a rescue, but he turned out to be the perfect dog for my Hearing Ear dog. Whereas my previous girl was all about the nose, and would spend 20 minutes sniffing everything in a new location, Ranger would give a few cursory sniffs, then lie down and relax. But the ears were constantly moving, listening to everything going on outside the room.

Oh, and the DIGGING! Some of my dogs have been worse than others, but having a nicely landscaped backyard is pretty much a thing of the past since my GSDs came into my life!

#347 Ā·
Not sure if that has been covered but...and let me preface this by saying they are the best breed ever in my opinion :)

I came to realize late in the game that there is heightened responsibility in owning, training them. That even though they have a reputation for being loyal, trainable, steady...that does not mean "easy" the way society has been led to believe by the folklore. There are a lot of glitches in what is out there, especially in the pet/hobby/byb end of it. The critical nature of having issues in a breed with this kind of focus, intelligence, and power means you have to be on your toes IF you wind up with one that has nerves issues etc. In my martial arts classes when people would get annoyed due to an accidental hit or cranked submission, I would say well, it isn't knitting class. Same when you get a GSD. Well, it isn't a Benji dog.

It has made me realize the difference between rescuing one with unknown breeding and getting one from known lines. Each with it's own set of responsibilities and things to watch out for and stay on top of.

Some breeds need more work (I don't mean because they are problematic, I mean because a lot of lines, they NEED to be worked even if it is just training and mental stimulation in a pet home). That is one of things that makes me love them. Given a choice between a new 4 door sedan with a 200,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, or a kick butt sports car or rugged truck that needs more care, attention, or maintenance? Keep your sedan lol It's a personality thing.

#352 Ā·
I didn't read the entire threat but of what I read, I didn't see the mommy rocks.

We got Goliath about 3 weeks ago, when he was 10 weeks old. Nearly every time my husband takes him out to pee and poop, he picks up one stone and brings it in the house and drops it. Sometimes he will drop a stone outside in favor of another one. He keeps trying to pick up a quarter of a brick that is outside to bring in to me. I have a feeling that before long, he will be bringing it to me. I have pulled out a glass vase that each stone is deposited in. We call them "mommy rocks".

How special is that?

#353 Ā·
Great topic and wonderful responses :^). I tend to agree with most everyone's observations.

I never realized how much help Miika would be in the care of my mom who now has dementia, or how much she and Kiisa would help me to feel better after a long day. Miika was a great help getting Kiisa in line when she decided to move in (a neighbor's 6 month old shepherd that decided she preferred living with us).

Both are extremely people friendly and are great ambassadors for the breed (particularly Miika).

Mine generally don't bark much, but that changes after dark when (especially Kiisa) will stay outside and bark at things roaming around at night. They like to howl with the coyotes, even though they are enemies.

Each has her spot on the bed and Miika is my official foot warmer in the winter. I can either stick my feet under her or she will make a point to lie on top of them. Kiisa just likes to snuggle and gets huffy if I try to get her to warm my feet, but she will lie against my back which makes it feel better.

Miika loves to play with and in water. Figured it is the best way to cool down quickly so that she can resume her activity of running with Kiisa.

There is never a dull moment with those two!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.