German Shepherds Forum banner

Finally figured it out!!

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Candace 
#1 ·
I have been training my white GSD in obedience every Sunday for 3 yrs now. She has always done reasonably well but doesn't have the right temperament for agility so I was hoping to trial in obedience and get our CCD title and go from there.
This year she really started mucking up at training. Her sits went to crap, I've been having to "handbrake" her to stop and recalls were a mess!

Last week watching hubby walk her I watched him put her through her paces ( he only walks the woofies has never trained or taken them to doggy school) and I discovered its him!! He's allowing her to do half assed recalls and do whatever because at least she's doing it ( he said).
So now I have to try to train hubby and retrain the dog! Us married folk know how hard it will be to teach my hubby lol
I have decided that with the new pup ( we're purchasing for a new loved addition but also for me to trial with) he will train on Sundays and I will do the midweek training. I'm not having this continue especially not with a potential show dog.
Needless to say hubby was less then impressed when we had this discussion lol.
End of my little rant

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

See less See more
#3 ·
I always have to remind my hubby not to use my obedince commands for household obedience unless he is going to enforce it. Like Lydi-- He will tell her down and stay and then ignore her. After a while she gets up and wanders away. What is she learning?

I ask him to just tell her lie down and do not ask her to stay. Lie down means settle for while in our house. Down/Stay means the long down in obed.

Yes, the hubby is harder to train. I have done this with every dog and he does not remember from dog to dog.

#5 ·
Yeah, I can feel your pain too! My husband also often does the wrong stuffs... Taught him that running away from us is fun, reinforced jumping with hugs, yelling at our dog with his name when the dog is doing something wrong (good for destroying recall), being mad when it's not the dog's fault (dog doesn't know that he's not supposed to do certain things, and when it happens we should guide instead), and so on...

Our dog is already a difficult boy at times, but with this it makes things harder! And yeah, training the husband is harder... (dark thoughts of applying P+ on husband)

#6 ·
Must be a hubby thing....mine is the same. Does all kinds of wrong commands and doesn't follow through all the time. Fortunately, Stella seems to realize that when I say something, I mean it! Of course, this makes everything a lot harder than necessary.:eek:

#7 ·
Years ago with one of my dogs, I was living with my boyfriend. I had her trained very nicely, and then one day I came down the stairs and "caught" him feeding her at the table. I was ticked off big time, and told him so.

She never begged when I was at the table, or anyone else, but I noticed that if I was out of the room, and it was just him at the table, she would sit beside him.

One day I was sitting in the back yard, b/f had just brought his steak in from the bbq, put it on the table and went into the kitchen to get the rest of his meal. She looked at me (I looked away LOL) and she walked up to the table, grabbed the steak and it was gone before he got back from the kitchen. When he came into the dining room, she was laying on the ground beside me doing "nothing" wrong.

He's looking everywhere ... where's my steak? Who took it?

ME: Well, I'm vegetarian, so I certainly didn't eat it
HIM: did the dog eat it?
ME: maybe
HIM: did you see her eat it
ME: maybe
HIM: She ate MY steak, i can't believe it
ME: Really? You've been feeding her from the table on a regular basis after I have told you a hundred times not to ... and you wonder why she took it? HELLOOO
HIM: But I thought she was my friend

SIGH .... it is very tough to train the other half ... but he didn't feed her from the table any more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.