German Shepherds Forum banner

Leash issues

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ShelbyCD 
#1 ·
Shelby is 3 months old today. I started walking her on a leash about 3 weeks ago. I take her on one walk in the morning at 6:00am and then again around 6:00pm. She doesn't seem to really enjoy the walks, but I know they are good for her energy levels.
My biggest issue is the first 5 min and the final few minutes of each walk. She bites the leash, pulls against it, and jumps up and nips my pants. I'm not sure how to react to this behavior to discourage it. We've taught her "drop it", but when she's in this mode she completely ignores the command. I've tried waiting and repeating "drop it", but it just gets worse. Most of the time I try to ignore and pull her into walking while keeping the leash short-ish, until she finally gets in the walking mode. I don't think this is going to change the behavior though. Any advice?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
If you have a fenced yard, or are willing to do it in the house, play a game of fetch or 2 ball, do some quick obedience commands with a clicker, with fun and jackpots, play tug, or do some hiding of treats and let her find them before you go for the walk. Get that edge off, tire her out a bit before the walk (but not too much since she is just a baby) so that she is able to focus a little more (she's a puppy so she can't focus all that much) on what you are trying to ask. If she's not really loving the walks, with the additional play, you can probably shorten them - about how far do you go now?

Also with the drop it, while she is still learning it, have something to offer her - a ball, toy, treat - in exchange, and fade that away over time.

I use a four foot leash - which is closer to me for biting ME if that is a thing for the puppy - but easier for walking, in my mind. There is also a nice video if you google Silky Leash for a technique I want to use next time I am teaching leash stuff to a dog!

#3 ·
Oh how I remember Stella doing this! And she also added rock eating while walking too! I used to bring another toy, treat, or stick or whatever with us and tried to redirect her to that object. It took time but eventually she stopped all the leash/leg biting. But even now at 17 months, if she gets real excited, she will start playing tug with the leash. Then I just tell her "no leash" and she stops.

#12 ·
Jean's advice is spot on. I took Kira out at 10 and 11 weeks for a walk and she really was not impressed. It was a total struggle to keep her going forward. After hitting the yard first and kicking around the jolly ball, a short walk afterwards was much more enjoyable. Of course I was constantly swapping out toys and treats for rocks, litter, sticks etc.

I kept it to a couple blocks but if she had enough before then she would grab at the leash or cut in front, sit and look at me. "Can we go home now?" :)

Beautiful pup. Good luck!

#15 ·
Update:
Shelby's behavior on walks has improved! Since Friday evening, we've been spending about 15-20 min before each of her normal walks playing fetch and short obedience lessons. She hasn't chewed the leash or pulled away at all. She has jumped up on my pants a couple times but its no where close to the frequency in the past.
It's amazing how an extra 15 min can change her focus and behavior.

We are starting puppy classes tonight. The trainer was really excited when I told her that Shelby was a GSD.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.