German Shepherds Forum banner

Shipping puppy vs picking up in person

18K views 62 replies 51 participants last post by  Shaolin 
#1 ·
A recent thread got me thinking how everyone feels on the subject of having a puppy shipped. This can be from anyones perspective... breeder, buyer, whatever.

Since we have a lot of breeders on here, as a breeder, are you comfortable shipping puppies if a potential buyer lived across the country or in another country? Would you prefer the buyer drives 10-20 hours to pick the puppy up vs having the puppy flown to it's new home to cut down on travel time? Are you comfortable selling puppies without meeting the buyer in person?

As a buyer, are you comfortable not meeting the breeder and their dogs in person and having the puppy shipped? Would you trust based on research you've done or "word of mouth" or would you have to go see the dogs in person before committing to a puppy?

Basically, how does everyone feel on the subject?

#61 ·
I really really wanted to drive out to the country and pick my pup in person as well as check out his home, etc. but getting there was pretty impossible, and believe me i tried. In the end I just asked what was probably an insane (and I'm sure annoying) amount of questions with focus on the dogs' personality and temperament and picked from a distance.
When he got here he was nervous for about 30 seconds then him and my brothers dog sniffed each other and he spent the rest of his day (or rather his life thus far) following me around like my shadow with an incredible attention span and patience. I am thru-the-roof happy with the pup I got and don't believe I could have done better.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#62 ·
I know this is an old thread, but just my thoughts...

If I trust a breeder, I trust a breeder. I don't want complete control of picking out my own dog. I largely want breeder's input on personality and drives. I'm having a pup shipped from Michigan to Denver in March. Honestly, I would LOVE to make the 18 hour drive, go up meet the other dogs, meet the breeder, etc.... but it's blizzard season and no way in... heck... am I driving up to Michigan in the middle of blizzard season, lol. If it was summer or fall, it would be a different story.

#63 ·
I'm kind of split on this one. We originally asked the breeder to pick our pup and she picked Finn's brother. We went to go see the litter and there was just something off about the pup; he just wasn't as interractive as Finn was. We decided to go with Finn. Sadly, the first dog we looked at ended up having weak nerves and very low drive. He is a great pet, but didn't have the drive I was looking for.

If there was a breeder that I was extremely interested in and I love his/her pups, but was located more than a days' drive, then I'd be willing to ship, but I would want to see videos of the dogs and would have to hear a lot about their personality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.