German Shepherds Forum banner

Fast weaving! Thanks channel weaves!

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Wolfgeist 
#1 ·
Pimg really rocks my world- I'll just come out and say it. Since I started going back to agility classes, she's had to deal with 12 weave poles- which we really haven't trained. I don't even have 12 poles (I only have six). She has been getting all 12 poles and rarely pops out. But... it's slow. Really slow.

So I started testing my theory that channel weaves will help a dog develop speed through understanding and footwork. I have a pretty crappy set of 6 channel weave poles that I've been working Pimg on for the last two days. This was also a fun way to test out my new Manners Minder since I could send her to the poles AND reward her all while staying out of the picture. It's worked great!

Last night I was doing some backyard training when I discovered her weaving was pretty darn fast! And her footwork was very good!

After taking video, I brought my set of channel weaves outside and put them at the end of my 6 poles making 12 total. I kept them slightly open to reinforce the fact that she needs to drive through the last 6 poles just like the first 6. After a number of repetitions, I closed them down so that all 12 poles were straight inline. She weaved them faster than I can run them! :eek::cool:

I don't have video of the 12 poles- but you know it's coming soon...

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats to you guys! Starting working with Skyrah about a month or so ago, wanted to wait till growth plates all closed as health more important to me. She is slowly getting it. Tried the 2x2 way for awhile & then closed for her to figured out. At class a trainer put guide wires on for other dogs, he asked about Sky & told him she will prob wonder what the heck these are! She started through & jumped over & out of them, lol

I always wondered the use of them & channels, but I have just so far let my crew figure it out, once then speed has come. 8)

Been banging my head as Sable has been pulling out of weaves at the shows. She does have something up with her left shoulder as Chiro stated, but also wondered if spacing is messing with her. Mine is 22" & AKC, 24". 8/

#3 ·
I made my channel weaves out of PVC- just like this:

Mine are kinda crappy, but I guess they work... I still really think that the 2x2 method is great for teaching entries and general weaving, but then at that point- moving to channels can develop speed and fancy footwork. I read this somewhere, but can't locate where I read it. Anyway- it seems to be working for Pimg!

Technically, the 2x2 method kind of IS channel work. One could use 2x2 sets to "create" a channel.

#4 ·
I love channels, I also think it helps get the dogs to drive thru cause the 'weaving' is easier and you can really gradually close them down so the dog can keep up the speed while also learning to weave.

Anyone can make a channel set of weaves if they have a complete set of 12 (only they won't close all the way :) ). Just take one set of 6 and put it beside your other set of 6 (rather then end to end).

Then, go along and remove every other pole (first on the right, then the left, then the right) so there will be 3 poles on the left side and 2 on the right. You can then either move them close or further apart depending on where you are in training.

You do have to remove the correct poles from the correct side so the entry remains correct with the dog entering properly. So if I just did the above pole removal backwards then you can fix it :)

:paw:

#5 ·
Then, go along and remove every other pole (first on the right, then the left, then the right) so there will be 3 poles on the left side and 2 on the right.
The only problem with using two sets is that there would be a metal post sticking up where the removed pole is. That seems pretty dangerous.

#7 ·
Thanks for commenting on the video! Nice to hear from you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.