German Shepherds Forum banner

Seperation anxiety, or more?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Eegore 
#1 ·
I have an 8-9 month GSD that has been at my home for about a month.

In the past I've had much younger pups and the crying/yelping at the garden gate, crate etc. usually tapers off in a week or two.

This dog however completely comes unhinged if I'm out of her sight. We play/train a few hours a day. She is in the house in the evenings with me and such but when I go into another room, or leave the yard she yelps like crazy for an hour or more.

Is this normal for a 9 month old dog that has only been with me for a month?

Maybe I need to attend to her differently due to the foster situation.

Any ideas are appreciated.

#2 ·
Just checking in again.

Has anyone had a dog yelp like this at the 9 month or older mark when you get out of sight?

I was going to try 10-15 minute time aways where I walk away and come back multiple times and see if changes anything but I'm not sure since I've always waited for the dog to calm down in the past.

This is a new experience for me, in the past leaving the dog to calm down and then engaging has always led to shorter crying, not longer durations of yelping.

Thanks!

#4 ·
I would try crate training first as well. BUT, I wouldn't leave her in it then walk away for 2 hours ... SOME dogs (if it really is separation anxiety) can get worse inside a crate and will freak out trying to get out ...

Look up HOW to crate train, and see if that option works ...

Good luck!

#8 ·
Thanks for the information.

I need more to work on her crate situation. She won't go in it voluntarily but will walk in if I guide her by the collar and she will settle down in it after a few minutes. No yelping unless I leave the area.

Ive been feeding her in it while its unlocked but maybe increased familiarity with the crate will help reduce some of the issues of leaving her in the yard alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.