German Shepherds Forum banner

Hello from a newbie!!

591 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Corvus Laeus 
#1 ·
Hello GS forum!

My name is David and I'm from Cary, NC. I am a current online MBA student with ECU and work for a local pharma outfit in Durham, NC.

I joined as I am looking to soak up all of the knowledge and information I can surrounding owning and properly caring for a GSD. Though I've never owned one, I have always known it was the breed for me. Loyal, intelligent, athletic, protective, and noble (I'm sure you all know :p). Always been amazed by their working roots and how versitile they are in the many roles they play for rescue, armed forces, etc.

I was raised with miniature Schnauzers and my sister worked for the AKC for a stint. She currently has a Lab/Pitt mix and a big ol Bulldog :p (3 cats also :rolleyes:)

Can't wait to meet some of you and continue to learn more about what I may be getting myself into. I'm still on the fence about rescuing (Have noticed there are several nice GSD recues in the NC area) or starting off with a puppy. I am reading up on several books (Monks of New Skete, The Power of Positive Dog Training, The Other End of the Leash) and would appreciate any further reading recommendations as well :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome ...

Further reading? HMMM, I would suggest you read every single thread on this forum ... then when you're done, you'll be completely confused, and go and buy a hamster!!!

Adopt or get a puppy. It all depends on what you are looking, the level of commitment / training / time you can provide, etc.

The pros to adopting an "older" dog (i.e. older than 9 months) is that you can already see some of the dog coming out, dog is likely (hopefully) house broken, and maybe crate trained. The cons - it might have issues that you need to work out.

A puppy from a breeder - well, they are generally more expensive than adopting from a shelter. You'll have to go through the house breaking / crate training / landshark phase. And at 7 or 8 months, you might have wished you'd gone with the hamster instead ... because a GSD is a demanding dog!

I've always had dogs, and have worked with dogs, and Ky is my first GSD. I thought I was prepared (I'm older than 40 LOL) ... and while I was much better prepared than the average first time dog owner, there were still times when she knocked my socks off. The high energy, the teething stage, the freaking intelligence in this dog is DRAINING. BUT, once you hit around 10-11 months of age, as long as you've done ALL the hard work of training, training, and more training, you're on a much smoother road!!

Good luck in whichever decision you make ... either way, there will be lots of people who can give you great guidance ... adopt or buy!!! Have fun!

#3 ·
Welcome ...

Further reading? HMMM, I would suggest you read every single thread on this forum ... then when you're done, you'll be completely confused, and go and buy a hamster!!!
Hahaha yes I plan on doing massive amounts of reading here. I've already been scouring the puppy section. The "landshark" stage is particularly helpful to learn about haha :p

I'm honestly leaning a little more towards adoption at this point. I'd love to be able to give a pooch a forever home where he/she'd be loved when someone else didn't/couldn't take care of them.

I am learning more about the demanding aspects of the GSD in particular. I fully plan on exercising for 2+ hours per day. I have access to a baseball field right in my back yard where I let my Schnauzer run about. There are also many parks around where I'd wear the dog out jogging/hiking. That's one of the main reasons I wanted a GSD is for the athleticism and endurance.

Thanks for the welcome and advice Kyleigh! I know I still have a bunch more consideration and planning to do, but practical experience is always tops on my list! :)

#4 ·
Hello and Welcome David, there is lots of great information on here that knowledgeable members have shared. When you get that new little furbaby be sure to share with us with pictures. :welcome:

#6 ·
Thank you! :D

Oh trust me, if I had a cute pooch to show off, you would practically be telling me to STOP posting pictures :p

Nicole,

Thanks for the encouragement! Miles sounds like he has been such a joy! I would indeed be very interested in agility as well as obediance training. Additionally, I would look into Schutzhund training as there is a NC club for that I have run into as well. I would try my best to help reveal the maximum potential and try to be the best friend/owner/trainer I could. :)

#5 ·
Welcome to a fun-filled GSD journey!

Hi David!

Like you, this was my first experience with a GSD...a breed I've known for years I would one day have as part of my family. I did 2 years of research on the breed, contemplating whether I would choose a rescue or new puppy. We chose a puppy—a male, West German show line, from a very reputable breeder in the Northeast that I researched extensively. Though expensive, a reputable GSD breeder should have a health guarantee, coupled with a guarantee "A" stamp hips/elbows or "excellent"/"good" OFA Hip ratings—depending on the breeder.

My wonderful dog, Miles is now 15 months old and one of the things in addition to endless fun, exercise and love—is proper training. At the beginning, I felt it not only important but an obligation in ownership to seek solid, excellent training . . . not just obedience training, but later, agility etc. to keep the mind sharp, happy and healthy. Whichever route you take (whether rescue or new puppy), I think you will find this invaluable for you and the dog.

We are so happy with our decision to welcome a GSD into our hearts and home. He is a wonderful addition to our family . . . loyal, handsome, strong and INTELLIGENT.

I'm excited for you! Good luck and I hope the beginning of your journey is as wonderful as ours has been.

Nicole

#7 ·
Hello again everyone!

Thought I'd give an update. (I know it has been a while)

The planets finally aligned and I have an adorable 10 week old GSD living with me. I was able to find him from K9 Pines in Saluda,NC. It was a 4 hour drive, but totally worth it and he was a dream on the drive home.

I have had him for the last week and he has been a great puppy. Working through crate training and some loose poos from switching foods, but he had his first vet visit yesterday and he's all checked out :)

Meet Tiberius, son of Zelda x Tybee :wub:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.