German Shepherds Forum banner

Please help - desperate

4K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new here and new to the German Shepherd breed. Someone we know currently has a 6 or 7 year old German Shepherd male dog who they are threatening to put to sleep because of developing problems. The dog has allergy issues, has had multiple ear infections, sheds excessively, and recently began urinating and pooping in the house. I dont think the dog is on a good quality food - previously blue seal and then iams. Their vet switched the dog to a beef and potato diet (and said to feed this only), but I dont believe that helped so they went back to the regular food. They had the dog tested for allergies and he came back allergic to 10 different things (dust, cockroaches, trees, etc??). He was also put on a shot regimen, but is not longer on it. The dog basically is not allowed in the regular house and lives in an 8' x 8' room in the basement (where it has lived for the past 4+ years), where it is now crated almost 24/7 most of the time because of the pooping/peeing on the floor issue (i think this is a newer problem). So since this recent issue developed, they are saying they are going to put the dog down.

My husband and I recently moved into a house from a condo and we have 2 cats. I think the dog is ok with cats. We are thinking about trying to give this dog a good home on a trial basis, but I am concerned about fixing some of the problems. I have no problem switching the dog to a grain free, high quality food because this would probably help some. But I am not sure what else to try. I could take him to my vet (different vet) beforehand to see what they think. Please let me know what your opinions/ideas are. I don't want to see this dog put down without trying something. Or if it does not work out with him in our home, do you know of any other rescue groups or places we could talk to?? Thank you!

See less See more
#29 ·
Why not get the dog and see if you can intro him to the cats, for instance, while the cat is in a crate or some such? Of course the dog would be leashed for the intro.

Has he ever seen a cat?

#30 ·
I guess I forgot to ask, and maybe missed it,,but have YOU personally met the dog?? If yes, how did that go? If no, I think you should meet him and see how the meeting goes...:)

#31 ·
I have personally met the dog and he seems ok, just extremely hyper, but I think much of that probably has to do with living in the basement most of the time. And he has seen cats - they have cats and it seems to go ok when the cats sneak down there, but he is not with them 24/7. And as I said before, I am not concerned about 1 cat - she is young and fearless, but the other will probably be pissed for a while, but hopefully she'd get over it eventually. I can keep them separated when we arent home so that should give them a break and time to relax. And due to the dog's hyperness, I'm thinking he'd need to have a good run/exercise in before meeting the cats because his excitement will probably scare them.

I've also contacted someone in my area who does raw feeding and am waiting to hear back - still confused on how to go about it, if I should do the premade raw food which seems costly or prepare myself (which I'm definitely confused about). But I am looking into it and want to make sure I'm prepared to make the proper changes and not just take him on and continue with the same problems.

#32 ·
your right the hyperness may be due to lack of exercise/attention/being in the basement. I think your on a good 'track' and going about things the right way:)

#33 · (Edited)
the hyperactivity could also be due to poor nutrition . Have seen behavioural changes in schools that institute healthy lunch programs !! Had a friend who did exactly that on behalf of a government program . Travelled to our far north and later even to Belize . Results were guaged with better academic scores resulting . The dog will be bright and alert , but calmer .
Feeding raw is not difficult . Personally I would not buy pre-made with "stuff" in it , mainly because often times the "stuff" is filler or not appropriate for dogs (brocolli) . Go visit you local butcher -- raw feeding is so popular now that many butcher shops cater to raw feeders with bulk boxes of ground , chicken, turkey, lamb, beef - bones and meat ground and frozen. Find a local raw feeders group in your area and they will connect you .

If you don't want to do raw , then feed a high quality grain free kibble .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.