German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

question about Parvo

8K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  GatorBytes 
#1 ·
My GSD is now 8 weeks old, he has had 2 of his puppy shots. The vet said for ne not to take him to the dog park in town or basically walk in areas that is busy with humans/animals. But does anyone know if taking Bear for a walk down the street? I would like to do more than just give him exercise in our yard. But unsure what to do. Yes I will call the vet tomorrow but would like some feedback.

#4 ·
I was looking to see if there was parvo rate info for your area (like where I am had a big parvo outbreak a year ago) and saw this interesting, slightly OT article:
Yellowstone wolf population dips / Parvovirus blamed for steep decline - SFGate

I am parvonoid and do not want a foster puppy exposed. I carry them into the vet office, try to change shoes at the door at home, keep them in the yard, and even limit my own dogs' outings to minimize risk. Even with everything it is still a risk.

There are things you can do to increase socialization - having people over, finding people with well behaved, puppy-friendly adult dogs or other vaccinated puppies, etc. Have the puppy exposed to noises, surfaces, things that they would see in the outside world.

The AVMA has a position paper on this, stating that behavior issues from lack of socialization result in dogs being put to sleep, but while I agree this is a vital period, if a dog has good temperament, owners who are committed to the dog and training, the few weeks to get that coverage, TO ME, should not result in such drastic behaviors. :) I've yet to see it.

I think maternal antibody info is confusing but some is here: Parvovirus: Serious Diarrhea in Puppies & Dogs and the Mar Vista vet site also has a big thing on Parvo.

Good luck!

#5 ·
I'm with your vet on not taking him to dog parks or other high dog traffic areas, but am all for taking him out for walks immediately, if not sooner. Early socialization is a much bigger problem than the smaller risk of getting parvo in a vaccinated puppy. I would walk him as much as possible.

#10 ·
the much smaller risk of getting parvo in a vaccinated puppy.
It's a small risk until it's your puppy lying there on it's death bed.
To the OP - check with your vet - but if they recommend another few weeks and at least one more vaccine, then follow their advice.

As Jean said -
There are things you can do to increase socialization - having people over, finding people with well behaved, puppy-friendly adult dogs or other vaccinated puppies, etc. Have the puppy exposed to noises, surfaces, things that they would see in the outside world.
all can be done without exposing the puppy to potentially deadly disease.

#13 ·
It's a small risk until it's your puppy lying there on it's death bed.
To the OP - check with your vet - but if they recommend another few weeks and at least one more vaccine, then follow their advice.

As Jean said -

all can be done without exposing the puppy to potentially deadly disease.
:hammer:

I like how you want to follow the vets advice only on things you agree with. Strange how that works.

Walk the puppy as much as possible.

#16 ·
If parvo is so prevalant, then you're going to track it in the house by walking on a sidewalk then the pup is doomed anyhow.

Keep it's nose out of poop...would wearing booties help?

#18 ·
Booties on the dog or the person?? Both would work, if they were disposable. But you still have the risk of the dog smelling something on the ground and that something could be this disease. It would be almost impossible to prevent it, especially if the dog is in an area where there has been an outbreak.

#20 ·
Thanks for the replies. I love the links which I will take a look at it. Fortunately my vet is right across the street from me, so they will have a good answer whether it is safe to walk Bear up and down the road. I honestly would say NOT! He is my baby and if I lost him it would be devasating to me. I have lost enough in my life recently, my husband's passing 2 months ago and then my bird died the other day. Animals rely on the owners to know what is best for them. I am not worried about socialization, I just want him to get more exercise. But I will continue to run up and down my drive a couple of times, as it is pretty long.

My thought on that is he is learning his territory by doing this. We have 4 families living on the same drive. Most of the people are family members and boy do my grandkids love to play with him. I want him to know his territory and to protect all that live on the property.

If the vet's office says "no", then it is '"NO". I can be patient and walk him when it is safe.

#23 ·
seems like this pup has had lots of exposure to the vet already , which if there are concerns about parvo is a potential "ground zero" .
Same person was worried about "
Eye problems with a 7 week GSD
When I took Bear to Vet last Thursday, he made a comment about Bear having possible eye issues. Bear is now 7 weeks old. Since then I don't know if I am seeing things or it is real. He doesn't like to track with his eyes, but then I am using his kibble because that is all I have at the moment. Then it seems that he doesn't like climbing a few stairs in the evening (the stairs are black rock).

So is eyesight issues normal for this young of pup or could the vet be right. He does just fine during the day where there is light.
Thanks "

seems like you've had the dog from a very very young age

dogs don't track with their eyes

where were you "tracking" --

two sets of shots -- slow down , enjoy the pup , don't over worry and create problems

#24 ·
Carmspack, I took Bear to the Vets the first time was because he hadn't eaten for a week. If you have a problem with that then don't answer my posts. The second is because he was scheduled for his second puppy shots. I want him vaccinated to protect him, just like you would for yourself or a child of yours. The vet mentioned the "eye sight" problem, not me. So, yes I followed up on his SCHEDULED visit.

TO ALL WHO QUESTION WHY THE POST: The reason why I posted the Parvo question, is I have never had to deal with this disease. When I had dogs in the past, the disease was not as prevanlant as it is now. So I do know anything about this disease, except for that it is deadly and I take that very seriously. So I am asking for information and where to find it. The web sites I have found was how to treat after the puppy contracting it and the symptoms. I like to do research and find out about things. But then I DO NOT believe everything i read on the internet, so hence the post, I want to hear others thoughts and then make up my own mind.

My mind was made up after posting the question and that is to wait, even if it is just walking a little off the property.

Yes I carry my puupy from my property to the vets, when I set him down it is on the vets table for the examination. Then he is picked up and carried back to my property, where he is free to walk around (on a leash).

I am enjoying my puppy very much and that is why I asked the question. I am not pushing him to be anything but a puppy and do the puppy things.

The thing I adore about him is he is very easily trained. He loves me and I love him and he and I do things to please each other. He plays a lot with me and my grandkids (who live right next door to me on the same property). He goes down to another house on the property and socialize with my stepdad. He will be well adjusted. I will at the right time socialize him with other dogs. I just do not have anyone that has a dog that would be a good match for Bear and let him just be a puppy. This to shall come to pass.

#28 ·
Carmspack, I took Bear to the Vets the first time was because he hadn't eaten for a week. If you have a problem with that then don't answer my posts. The second is because he was scheduled for his second puppy shots. I want him vaccinated to protect him, just like you would for yourself or a child of yours. The vet mentioned the "eye sight" problem, not me. So, yes I followed up on his SCHEDULED visit.

TO ALL WHO QUESTION WHY THE POST: The reason why I posted the Parvo question, is I have never had to deal with this disease. When I had dogs in the past, the disease was not as prevanlant as it is now. So I do know anything about this disease, except for that it is deadly and I take that very seriously. So I am asking for information and where to find it. The web sites I have found was how to treat after the puppy contracting it and the symptoms. I like to do research and find out about things. But then I DO NOT believe everything i read on the internet, so hence the post, I want to hear others thoughts and then make up my own mind.

My mind was made up after posting the question and that is to wait, even if it is just walking a little off the property.

Yes I carry my puupy from my property to the vets, when I set him down it is on the vets table for the examination. Then he is picked up and carried back to my property, where he is free to walk around (on a leash).

This to shall come to pass.

Nov. 18 ~ Start thread – reference Nov. 15th vet visit – “When I took Bear to Vet last Thursday, he made a comment about Bear having possible eye issues. Bear is now 7 weeks old.”
Nov. 22 ~ update - reference Nov. 21 vet visit – “Bear's eyes checked out at the Vets. The Vet said that he eyes are stiull developing and they are doing good.”

You mention you took in the pup as it hadn’t eaten in a week, so you have the pup at 6 weeks old (?)...had it not eaten since the day you brought home, or did you get him even sooner and he stopped eating?

Why would your vet even suggest a problem with the eyes given the age and THEN say they are still developing after a re-schedule???. He couldn’t have figured that out given the age of the pup? Is he new? or is he well trained in the art of fear mongering to pad the bottom line? Did he re-schedule free of charge? Once you understand the art of suggestion in veterinary practices to boost profits perhaps you may understand Carmens post.

Further to your quandary and what is in the Parvo links I provided and written/quoted by experts and published in a magazine that stakes it’s reputation on science and said experts (not internet hoop-la)...
The pup had first vaccine (what age?), and then a second round when 7 wks, 8 wks.? While it wouldn’t eat and with a possible eye issue and while still under maternal immunity and while his fragile underdeveloped immune system is still trying to process the first assault on his body (immune system is supressed for 10 days from the vaccine making him susceptible to the disease you are trying to prevent), taken back to “ground zero” while immuno supressed for a fabricated problem and on top of being taken away prematurely from his mother and littermates and thrown into a world he does not understand and given some denatured food (kibble) that is not recognized by his biological DNA...

I’d say, Carmen was questioning the integrity of your Vet, not you. It was a round about way of saying “think about it”, relax and enjoy your pup was not condescending...and do you know why? Carmen has 30+ yrs breeding GSD’s, vaccines and rearing pups...AND is as respected member on this forum who provides a wealth of information and takes the time to help those (like you), help their pups. And why? Because she loves dogs the breed and is a strong believer in prevention NOT cure AND optimizing health at the formidable stages of development and beyond. She is an expert who’s knowledge about nutrition AND development AND disease led her to produce a line of nutracuticals that are recognized and available through the magazine in the links provided.

Suffice to say, she wasn’t being offensive and in all fairness, you never mentioned the issue of not eating as reason for the vet visit in the first place. So no reason for such remark bolded below.

Further to the subject about formidable age and as stated by Elaine about dogs social skills...behavioural issues are the leading cause of surrendered dogs. On top of the fear of letting your dog walk in public and being sheltered until ALL rounds of vaccines are done, he didn’t even get the benefit of learning from his littermates and mother between the age of 5 and 8 weeks which is the crucial period for a dogs social skills. On top of this, and depending on where this dogs personality goes – either dominance aggression to dogs or human or both, or fearfulness, this will tax the dogs adrenals if living in a constant state of stress with the release of cortisol and could very well lead to Cushings disease.

So don’t count on the “this to shall pass” – that is too passive an approach. There is lots to learn. You may want to start reading the aggression threads to prepare.

#25 · (Edited)
I wondered because it seems like you did get your pup at a very early age - before the ideal , recommended age to go to the new home. Now you are saying that you took the dog to the vet at 7 weeks of age because he had not eaten for a week , that means a pup around 6 weeks of age that had not eaten for a week .
That is an important time in developing the immune system , rapid growth .
When did he get his first vaccination ? Before or after you added him to your home?
Knowing that he was not in prime health I would have held off on giving him the second vaccination "My GSD is now 8 weeks old, he has had 2 of his puppy shots"
Why was your vet so hasty to vaccinate the pup who was not in the best of shape , even if the dog was just blue or depressed from leaving mum-dog and littermates , this is stress which has physical implications . The dog was not well . The vet very well could have said take your pup home Mrs and feed him this ... whatever, whatever, lets get him on his feet, a bit of meat on his ribs , keep him home and then see me in two weeks for a re-evaluation.

You CAN create problems , which will show themselves later on in life .

from Dr Dodd's - "Puppies receive antibodies through their mother’s milk. This natural
protection can last 8-14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be
vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the
vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced. Vaccination at
6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective
vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks
apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of
vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up
to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months
of age (usually at 1 year 4 months) will provide lifetime immunity."

Ideally the first one should be given at about 9 to 10 weeks
Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Dr. Dodds' 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol
the second about five weeks later.
There are many kennels which select one pup , the strongest one, vaccinate that pup as per protocol , put that pup back in with the others and the others will have a mild exposure which triggers their immune response.
Titers can be done to monitor the dogs immune response and vaccinations can be given when called for , and you can be selective and only vaccinate for the portion that you need to "boost".

There are many people doing this for their children .
It is NOT about economy but in reducing risk .
I took the time because I care .

#26 ·
I respect that the above is one person's protocol/opinion through her own research.

We adhere to and recommend the following schedule which is the primary vet college in our area, the "go to" vet, if you will.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

DA2PP
Puppies 6,10 and 14 weeks or 8, 12 and 16 weeks
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Each patient should be evaluated for increased risk of exposure – may consider yearly protocols for these patients
Give in right shoulder

If your vet (or breeder) did the vaccines on the above schedule, they are not wrong and they didn't harm your puppy for life :)

#33 ·
I respect that the above is one person's protocol/opinion through her own research.

We adhere to and recommend the following schedule which is the primary vet college in our area, the "go to" vet, if you will.

Community Practice Vaccination Protocols from the College of Veterinary Medicine

DA2PP
Puppies 6,10 and 14 weeks or 8, 12 and 16 weeks
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Each patient should be evaluated for increased risk of exposure – may consider yearly protocols for these patients
Give in right shoulder

If your vet (or breeder) did the vaccines on the above schedule, they are not wrong and they didn't harm your puppy for life :)
The protocol states 3 weeks apart. On the VACCINE LABEL it states "2-4 weeks".
And you don't know if the vet gave the 1st vaccine or the breeder did.
If the breeder did and there's no proof, the vet may have assumed it wasn't done.
Who knows? The OP hasn't expounded.
So which one is it...3 weeks, 2-4 weeks...6,10 and 14....8, 12 and 16????

A reputable breeder wouldn't have, a BYB if the dog left before 6 wks. and the vet shouldn't have if the breeder did.

Absolutly nothing adds up. The puppy is 8wks.

#27 ·
Welcome to the parvo balancing act! We all want our puppies to be healthy, but we don't want to miss out on important socialization opportunities. The good news is, you can socialize your puppy without having him walk around in potentially contaminated areas. The bad news is, your arms might get tired.

I am a firm believer in the importance of early socialization. You can carry your puppy to farmer's markets, hardware stores, and various other places to ensure that they are hearing, seeing, and smelling novel stimuli. The cool thing is, you can take care of tactile stimulation at home by encouraging your puppy to walk on various surfaces including wobbly boards, grates, slick floors, etc.

It can be a little bit of a balancing act, but you can socialize your puppy without endangering his health.

Here is another website with some additional information about parvo:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_parvovirus.html

I wish you all the best with your new family member!

#30 ·
That person's protocol was Dr Jean Dodds , not mine .
That's what I mean, carmen :)

I think that people taking their dogs and puppies in to their own vet clinic should not be made to feel as if they did their dog or puppy irreversible harm if the vet (or breeder) followed a top veterinary school's recommendations for vaccinations.

#32 ·
The protocol states 3 weeks apart. On the VACCINE LABEL it states "2-4 weeks".
And you don't know if the vet gave the 1st vaccine or the breeder did.
If the breeder did and there's no proof, the vet may have assumed it wasn't done.
Who knows? The OP hasn't expounded.

#35 ·
I thought I picked my pup out at 8 weeks. After getting him home, settled down and then counted the weeks, he was only 6 weeks. He received his first shot at 6 weeks. I took him in for a scheduled vacination visit, upon the Vet said to make the appointment. The eye check was his concern but then he clarified it at the next visit.

I want the best for my pup and so I am leaving this website because I had a simple questions and some of the response were great. Some were just talk.

So I will not post anymore, nor check out stuff on the is website. I am sorry for this blowing up to such a stinkin big deal.

I will warn others if I hear they are signing up for this website.

I personally don't care how long Carmstock has had dogs for how long. Her statements were not necessary. Nor did I appreciate them, I have had that experience once already on this site. So I learned my lesson. I will find out things some other way.

Thanks

#50 ·
I would not get too worked up about the posts. Some can be blunt, but I think people are trying to put out as much useful information as possible without the fluff, which may appear harsh sometimes. I would read Carmspack's posts again. When you are experiencing a problem with your pup, She is one of the members you'll hope will respond.

#36 ·
I found nothing negative nor offensive in Carmen's statements, actually. I'm not sure how anyone really could "leave" the site because of those. Part of the 'net is knowing when to take it, when to leave it. Kinda like real life. People who announce "I'm leaving!" remind me of kids that can't handle the sandbox so they pick up their toys and go home. Why don't you just move to another corner, and ignore the kids you don't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.