German Shepherds Forum banner

Is Your GSD A Groaner?

18K views 92 replies 86 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
Who up here has a GSD (or any dog) who groans? I just noticed that two of ours do it every time they move. It seems for common in Sheperds than other breeds.

#59 ·
Yessssss!!!! Just earlier, I came home and had to use the bathroom before letting her out of her kennel, and she let out the most agitated groan! Like "no mom you can't have 30 seconds to yourself, let me OUT!" Hehe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#61 ·
When Ali stretches out and scratches her ears she sounds like a motor bike. She stayed at a dog kennel when she was 4 months old, and the lady told me she was the biggest suck. A few months ago i took Ali for a walk and a little Yorkie ran out of yard, she pulled out of her collar and ran home ( about 5 houses down). She has made friends with the neighbors cat.

#62 ·
Oh definitely. My young one, Cheyenne, moans whenever she is bored. It's between a moan mized with a sigh. Then she groans when she is relaxing and ready to take a nap.

#63 ·
I'm so glad this topic is covered here. Our first two GSDs never did. Heidi lets out the loudest, most content sounding moan as she begins to wind down for the night.

She also seems to like it when I quickly press and release on her belly as she's moaning. It's kinda like covering and uncovering a baby's mouth as they're cooing.

#67 ·
Zim groans constantly, more so at night, when he's just woken up, or whenever I wake him up, like when I go into the bathroom, or turn the light on in the hallway to go down to the kitchen.

He also groans when he's trying to nap and someone, mainly me, keeps talking. I've also noticed he does it when he's trying to sleep and the TV is on. He likes to have uninterrupted sleep.

#68 ·
When Eko does it, its usually him asking for attention or when he's getting a good rub or groaning mixed with whines when we get him amped up by asking him where the ball is. To me it sounds like he's trying to talk to us like maybe that's how he hears us talking and tries to copy it.

#70 ·
Oh my word, my pup suddenly started groaning, it's these big long really deep GROOOOOOAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN, usually when she's tired or sleeping.

One time she woke me up in the middle of the night, I thought she was growling, but nope, just a big groan. lol

She also protest groans. lol

#72 ·
I know this is an older thread but I think it's hilarious when Brahm groans. He stopped whining and crying in his crate because he know I won't budge on letting him out, but now he groans in disapproval. He groans and grunts other times too. Just cracks me up. It's funny that so many others do it as well.

Cory & Xerxes Vom Geistwasser "Brahm"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#74 ·
Zelda does a big deep sigh right before she is ready to rest.
She also: whines (for attention, when someone leaves or trying to get at a cat), has her sharp bark for playing and when someone is coming home, her deep bark for strangers, she howls when she is very upset-like when i leave her for work, and she only groans once in a while. :)
Usually when i attempt to mimic her, she stops her talking and cocks her head and than when im done she will do her sharp bark and go up to me and while she is wagging. She is so predictable lol :rolleyes:

#75 ·
Myah is the NOISIEST fur baby I've ever known.

She doesn't shut up, lol.

Morning: groan and whine for me to get up. I'm sure the neighbors hear her too. She sounds like a high pitched WOOKIE.

All day long: huffs, chuffs, whines, groans, sighs - she likes to communicate whatever is on her mind.

After I return from work: MAJOR noise maker! This is where she adds the "you left me!" element to her high pitched WOOKIE moan, adding a few more octaves that MUST make the neighbors wonder what on earth is going on in our house!

Night: super quiet. She must rest her voice, no doubt. Lolol!!!

Silly girl :wub:

#76 ·
River "talks" all the time. You pick her up, she tells you about it, every time she yawns she groans, when she relaxes to sleep she groans, when she's waiting for food she "talks" when she chews on her toys she groans. Seriously, the only time she is quiet is when she's sleeping haha! The other night she let out a growl/groan while ASLEEP... It went on for about 15 seconds, my boyfriend and I were laying in bed giggling about it. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#77 ·
Chevy is the most verbal dog I ever seen or heard. She groans with pleasure at belly rubs. Huge groans when she has to go outside at night in the rain and sometimes she just sits next to you in the kitchen and groans ,whines and in general complains. Currently she's on a dose of steroids for a skin rash that was bacterial in nature and she is hungry like Audrey" in little shop of horrors. I think I'm going to start calling her Audrey

#78 ·
Cheyenne is a big groaner, especially when she settles down for a nap.

#80 ·
My girl "talks" with moans and groan and whines. She will carry on a conversation if you make the same kinds of noise back to her. It is like she is complaining that I am not on time with dinner or too late to play ball. And she really speaks up about whats on her mind.

Wheelchair Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.