German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - coconut oil - making molds
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
phgsd
Elite Member

Default coconut oil - making molds

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I figured it might help someone!

I started feeding the dogs coconut oil a month or two ago. We got the tubs from Costco. We keep the house cool enough that the coconut oil is a solid - and it's a pain to scrape it out of the tub for each dog. Not to mention it's impossible to measure how much they're getting.

I was thinking about a better way to feed it a while ago, and came up with the idea of candy or baking molds...so we went shopping today in search of some molds to try.

At AC Moore (craft store) we had a 55% off coupon - I got this nice silicone "mini-loaf" pan for about $7, the slots are about the size of a stick of butter. We also got some peanut butter cup candy molds to try.

I gently heated the coconut oil in my double boiler, distributed it into the molds, stuck them outside to cool...and voila! They popped right out of the molds.

The peanut butter cup molds held about 1.5 tbsp of oil - I'm not sure exactly how much the "butter" mold held, but I'd guess almost half a cup.

I'm really happy with how they turned out, and this will make feeding coconut oil MUCH easier.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote