German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Search and Rescue.
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM
NancyJ
Zombie Queen Moderator

Since SAR certifications do not appear on titles you would have to ask the breeder for documentation if you were not sure. Most folks I know nationally certify their dogs and keep copies of those certifications. The requirement for most national certifications is an annual or at least every two years recertification under a competent master trainer.

The only one appearing on pedigrees is an IRO title but the vast majority of SAR handlers in the US do not pursue IRO [which is a whole 'nother discussion that can get quite heated.]

The same can be said for working police dogs who also don't often have "titles" on their pedigrees. Though a lot of departments certify police K9s either internally or to some state, not national requirement.

------------

It doesn't necessarily matter, though. For Grim I was looking at a 2 year old dog so whatever potential he had was in front of me.

For Beau, I knew on his mothers side his mother was a working/certified trailing dog, aunt 1 was a certified detection dog, uncle 1 was an operational police dog, and uncle 2 was a certified cadaver dog....plus I knew several folks personally who had SAR dogs through his grandfather. For the sire, I just knew he had excellent hunt drive and was a sensible focused dog able to control his drives. The lines in the father were well known Czech lines (cordon-an-sat linebreeding).

Pretty easy to find the SAR dogs if you are already doing SAR and have met a bunch of other SAR folks and talk about who has what where......

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Air Scent Dog in Training
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-24-2012 at 04:41 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome