German Shepherds Forum banner

Killer of 9 sled dogs gets a very lenient sentence

965 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Over where I live in Vancouver B.C this case had been going on for awhile, supposedly after the winter olympics, this guy shot, or slit the throats of 9 sled dogs, and only received 3 years of probation and a fine, I'm shocked he didn't even receive a life time ban on owning pets, and really put other helpless pets in jeopardy, wonder what your guy's thoughts were

Sled dog killer avoids jail sentence - British Columbia - CBC News

#2 ·
"After the information leaked out about the cull, Fawcett and the company that bought his business, Outdoor Adventures, issued a statement in February 2011 that many of the dogs were old and sick, and efforts to have them adopted were unsuccessful.
The company said no instructions were provided to Fawcett on how to kill the animals, but that he was known to have put down dogs humanely on previous occasions."

As far as I know, it is legal to shoot your own dogs, as long as it is done in a humane manner. Was it shown that it was not done humanely?

#5 ·
This is a related link from the one the OP provided

Mass sled dog killing probed in B.C. - British Columbia - CBC News

"I won't use the term euthanized, [which] implies a humane death, and I can say that based on his description, at least a number of dogs did not have a humane death. His descriptions of using a shotgun, blowing off half of the dog's head while it ran off, a dog crawling out of a mass grave, it just made me shudder," Moriarty said.

^^^This paragraph really creeped me out. Fawcett should have gotten more than probation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.